Indexation and the Effect of Inflation Uncertainty on Real GNP
AbstractThis article examines the combined effects of inflation uncertainty and indexation on the growth rate of real gross national product (GN P). The evidence suggests that greater indexation partially reduces t he adverse effect of inflation uncertainty on real GNP growth over time. It also indicates that, in contrast to earlier findings regarding th e effect of inflation uncertainty on employment, the overall effect of inflation uncertainty on real GNP growth may be permanent. A preliminary assessment of whether the discrepancy is the result of in flation uncertainty permanently affecting the growth rate of the capi tal stock is inconclusive. Copyright 1988 by the University of Chicago.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Business.
Volume (Year): 61 (1988)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JB/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Carlos Fernández, 2001. "Further Evidence on Friedman's Hypothesis," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 38(115), pages 257-273.
- Hakan Berument & Ebru Yuksel, 2007.
"Effects of Adopting Inflation Targeting Regimes on Inflation Variability,"
Departmental Working Papers
0702, Bilkent University, Department of Economics.
- Berument, Hakan & Yuksel, Ebru, 2007. "Effects of adopting inflation targeting regimes on inflation variability," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 375(1), pages 265-273.
- Nocetti, Diego & Smith, William T., 2011. "Price uncertainty, saving, and welfare," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 1139-1149, July.
- Kevin B. Grier & Mark J. Perry, 2000. "The effects of real and nominal uncertainty on inflation and output growth: some garch-m evidence," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(1), pages 45-58.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.