The Missing Link Between Inflation Uncertainty And Interest Rates
AbstractIn the literature, there is no consensus about the direction of the effects of inflation uncertainty on interest rates. This paper states that such a result may stem from differentiation in the sources of the uncertainties and analyzes the effects of different types of inflation uncertainties on a set of interest rates for the UK within an interest rate rule framework. Three types of inflation uncertainties - impulse uncertainty, structural uncertainty and steady-state uncertainty - are derived by using a time-varying parameter model with a Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity specification. It is shown that the impulse uncertainty is positively and the structural uncertainty is negatively correlated with the interest rates. Moreover, these two uncertainties are important to explain short-term interest rates for the period of inflation targeting era. However, this time, the impulse uncertainty is negatively and the structural uncertainty is positively correlated with the overnight interbank interest rates, which is consistent with the general characteristic of the inflation targeting regimes. Lastly, the evidence concerning the effect of the steady-state inflation uncertainty on interest rates is not conclusive. Copyright (c) Scottish Economic Society 2005.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Scottish Economic Society in its journal Scottish Journal of Political Economy.
Volume (Year): 52 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 (05)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0036-9292
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hakan Berument & Nildag Basak Ceylan & Hasan Olgun, 2007.
"Inflation uncertainty and interest rates: is the Fisher relation universal?,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(1), pages 53-68.
- Hakan Berument & Hasan Olgun & Baþak Ceylan, 2006. "Inflation Uncertainty and Interest Rates : Is The Fisher Relation Universal?," Departmental Working Papers 0607, Bilkent University, Department of Economics.
- Caporale, Guglielmo Maria & Paesani, Paolo & Onorante, Luca, 2010.
"Inflation and inflation uncertainty in the euro area,"
Working Paper Series
1229, European Central Bank.
- Guglielmo Caporale & Luca Onorante & Paolo Paesani, 2012. "Inflation and inflation uncertainty in the euro area," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 43(2), pages 597-615, October.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Luca Onorante & Paolo Paesani, 2009. "Inflation and Inflation Uncertainty in the Euro Area," CESifo Working Paper Series 2720, CESifo Group Munich.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Luca Onorante & Paolo Paesani, 2009. "Inflation and Inflation Uncertainty in the Euro Area," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 909, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Alexandros Kontonikas, 2006.
"The Euro And Inflation Uncertainty In The European Monetary Union,"
Economics and Finance Discussion Papers
06-01, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Caporale, Guglielmo Maria & Kontonikas, Alexandros, 2009. "The Euro and inflation uncertainty in the European Monetary Union," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 954-971, October.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Alexandros Kontonikas, 2006. "The Euro and Inflation Uncertainty in the European Monetary Union," CESifo Working Paper Series 1842, CESifo Group Munich.
- Guglielmo Maria, Caporale & Alexandros , Kontonikas, 2007. "The Euro and Inflation Uncertainty in the European Monetary Union," CELPE Discussion Papers 101, CELPE - Centre of Labour Economics and Economic Policy, University of Salerno, Italy.
- Christian Grimme & Steffen Henzel & Elisabeth Wieland, 2011. "Inflation uncertainty revisited: A proposal for robust measurement," Ifo Working Paper Series Ifo Working Paper No. 111, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
- Guglielmo maria Coporale & Alexandros Kontonikas, 2006. "The EURO and Inflation Uncertainty In The EMU," Working Papers 2005_13, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Berument, M. Hakan & Yalcin, Yeliz & Yildirim, Julide, 2012. "Inflation and inflation uncertainty: A dynamic framework," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 391(20), pages 4816-4826.
- Berument, Hakan & Yalcin, Yeliz & Yildirim, Julide, 2009. "The effect of inflation uncertainty on inflation: Stochastic volatility in mean model within a dynamic framework," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 1201-1207, November.
- M. Berument & Yeliz Yalcin & Julide Yildirim, 2011. "The inflation and inflation uncertainty relationship for Turkey: a dynamic framework," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 41(2), pages 293-309, October.
- Ramaprasad Bhar & Girijasankar Mallik, 2012. "Components of Inflation Uncertainty and Interest Rates: Evidence from Australia and New Zealand," Economic Analysis and Policy (EAP), Queensland University of Technology (QUT), School of Economics and Finance, vol. 42(1), pages 39-49, March.
- Ramaprasad Bhar, 2010. "Stochastic Filtering With Applications In Finance:," World Scientific Books, World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., number 7736.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.