Trends and Projections in Income Replacement during Retirement
AbstractThis article calculates retirement incomereplacement rates for all labor market cohorts across the last 25 years and describes the changing contributions made by private pensions, social security, and assets. The factors on which replacement rates are sensitive include position in the income distribution, the use of after-tax instead of pretax incomes, the changing family composition of households between their pre- and postretirement years, and differential underreporting of income by age. The debate about reforming the U.S. retirement income system starts from a base where the current system offers high income-replacement rates for most households, especially low-income households.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Labor Economics.
Volume (Year): 21 (2003)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JOLE/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Edward N. Wolff, 2006. "The Adequacy of Retirement Resources among the Soon-to-Retire, 1983-2001," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_472, Levy Economics Institute, The.
- Larochelle-Cote, Sebastien Myles, John Picot, Garnett, 2008. "Income Security and Stability During Retirement in Canada," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 2008306e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Flood, Lennart & Klevmarken, N. Anders & Mitrut, Andreea, 2006.
"The Income of the Swedish Baby Boomers,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2354, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sanders, E.A.T., 2011. "Annuity market imperfections," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-4960701, Tilburg University.
- Larochelle-Cote, Sebastien Myles, John Picot, Garnett, 2008. "Securite et stabilite du revenu a la retraite au Canada," Direction des etudes analytiques : documents de recherche 2008306f, Statistics Canada, Direction des etudes analytiques.
- Frank T. Denton & Ross Finnie & Byron G. Spencer, 2009.
"Income Replacement in Retirement: Longitudinal Evidence from Income Tax Records,"
Quantitative Studies in Economics and Population Research Reports
436, McMaster University.
- Frank T. Denton & Ross Finnie & Byron G. Spencer, 2009. "Income Replacement in Retirement: Longitudinal Evidence from Income Tax Records," Social and Economic Dimensions of an Aging Population Research Papers 261, McMaster University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.