Determinants of School Enrollment in Indian Villages
AbstractAttaining universal basic education remains an elusive goal in many developing countries. This article examines the determinants of school enrollment among children in Uttar Pradesh and Bihar, two large north Indian states. In addition to individual- and household-level influences, we consider the role of village-level contextual effects on the school enrollment decision. Our results suggest that enrollment is increasing in parental education as well as wealth and that village caste composition and aggregate deprivation also influence individual enrollment decisions.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Economic Development and Cultural Change.
Volume (Year): 54 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/EDCC/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- F. Francavilla & Gianna Claudia Giannelli & Leonardo Grilli, 2010.
"Mothers’ Employment and their Children’s Schooling: a Joint Multilevel Analysis for India,"
Working Papers - Economics
wp2010_07.rdf, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze per l'Economia e l'Impresa.
- Francavilla, Francesca & Giannelli, Gianna Claudia & Grilli, Leonardo, 2013. "Mothers’ Employment and their Children’s Schooling: A Joint Multilevel Analysis for India," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 41(C), pages 183-195.
- Kajisa, Kei & Palanichamy, N. Venkatesa, 2010. "Schooling Investments over Three Decades in Rural Tamil Nadu, India: Changing Effects of Income, Gender, and Adult Family Members' Education," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 298-314, March.
- Tsujita, Yuko, 2011. "Foctors that prevent children from gaining access to schooling : a study of Delhi Slum households," IDE Discussion Papers, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO) 317, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- M. Niaz Asadullah & Uma Kambhampati & Florencia Lopez Boo, 2009.
"Social Divisions in School Participation and Attainment in India: 1983-2004,"
Research Department Publications, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department
4637, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Asadullah, Niaz & Kambhampati, Uma & López Bóo, Florencia, 2012. "Social Divisions in School Participation and Attainment in India: 1983-2004," IZA Discussion Papers 6329, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Mohammed Niaz Asadullah & Uma Kambhampati & Florencia López Bóo, 2009. "Social Divisions in School Participation and Attainment in India: 1983-2004," IDB Publications 6774, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Eggen, Andrea & Bezemer, Dirk J, 2007. "Do Poverty Reduction Strategies Help Achieve The Millennium Development Goals?," MPRA Paper 7030, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lincove, Jane Arnold, 2012. "The influence of price on school enrollment under Uganda's policy of free primary education," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 799-811.
- Lincove, Jane Arnold, 2009. "Determinants of schooling for boys and girls in Nigeria under a policy of free primary education," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 474-484, August.
- Dendir, Seife, 2013. "Children.s endowment, schooling, and work in Ethiopia," Working Paper Series, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER) UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Hazarika, Gautam & Viren, Vejoya, 2013. "The effect of early childhood developmental program attendance on future school enrollment in rural North India," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 34(C), pages 146-161.
- Scott Yabiku & Sarah Schlabach, 2009. "Social Change and the Relationships Between Education and Employment," Population Research and Policy Review, Springer, Springer, vol. 28(4), pages 533-549, August.
- Sudha Narayanan, 2013. "Choosing private schools: Examining primary school enrollment decisions in rural North India," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2013-025, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Florencia Lopez Boo & Maria E. Canon, 2012. "Richer but more unequal? nutrition and caste gaps," Working Papers, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis 2012-051, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Subha Mani & John Hoddinott & John Strauss, 2009. "Determinants of Schooling Outcomes: Empirical Evidence from Rural Ethiopia," Fordham Economics Discussion Paper Series, Fordham University, Department of Economics dp2009-03, Fordham University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.