Conditional Moment Restrictions and Triangular Simultaneous Equations
AbstractIt is shown that in a nonparametric nonseparable triangular system, the conditional moment restriction (CMR) does not identify the average structural function (ASF). The CMR identifies the ASF only if the model is structurally separable in observable covariates and unobservable random errors. This excludes, for instance, random coefficient models in which the CMR in general does not identify the average response. An implication of our results is that empirical researchers should use methods other than CMR if they want to estimate the average response in models that are not additively separable. © 2011 The President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 93 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jinhyun Lee, . "A Consistent Nonparametric Bootstrap Test of Exogeneity," Discussion Paper Series, Department of Economics 201316, Department of Economics, University of St. Andrews.
- Kasy, Maximilian, 2013. "Instrumental variables with unrestricted heterogeneity and continuous treatment," Working Paper 33257, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Schennach, Susanne & White, Halbert & Chalak, Karim, 2012.
"Local indirect least squares and average marginal effects in nonseparable structural systems,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 166(2), pages 282-302.
- Susanne Schennach & Halbert White & Karim Chalak, 2007. "Local Indirect Least Squares and Average Marginal Effects in Nonseparable Structural Systems," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 680, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 26 Dec 2009.
- Jinhyun Lee, . "Sharp Bounds on Heterogeneous Individual Treatment Responses," Discussion Paper Series, Department of Economics 201310, Department of Economics, University of St. Andrews.
- Halbert White & Karim Chalak, 2013. "Identification and Identification Failure for Treatment Effects Using Structural Systems," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(3), pages 273-317, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.