Does Competition Encourage Credit Provision? Evidence from African Trade Credit Relationships
AbstractPrevious work has claimed that monopoly power facilitates the provision of credit, because monopolists are better able to enforce payment. Here, we argue that if relationship-specific investments are required by borrowers to establish creditworthiness, monopoly power may reduce credit provision because holdup problems ex post will deter borrowers from investing in establishing creditworthiness. Empirically, we examine the relationship between monopoly power and credit provision, using data on the supply relationships of firms in five African countries. Consistent with the up-front investment story, we find that monopoly power is negatively associated with credit provision, and that this correlation is stronger in older supplier relationships. Because the data include several observations per firm, we are able to utilize firm fixed effects, thus netting out unobserved firm characteristics that may have been driving results in earlier studies. © 2004 President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 86 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kyle Hyndman & Giovanni Serio, 2007.
"Competition and Inter-Firm Credit: Theory and Evidence from Firm-level Data in Indonesia,"
Departmental Working Papers
0702, Southern Methodist University, Department of Economics.
- Hyndman, Kyle & Serio, Giovanni, 2010. "Competition and inter-firm credit: Theory and evidence from firm-level data in Indonesia," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 88-108, September.
- Van Horen, Neeltje, 2007.
"Customer Market Power and the Provision of Trade Credit; Evidence from Eastern Europe and Central Asia,"
3378, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Van Horen, Neeltje, 2007. "Customer market power and the provision of trade credit : evidence from Eastern Europe and Central Asia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4284, The World Bank.
- Bigsten, Arne & Soderbom, Mans, 2005.
"What have we learned from a decade of manufacturing enterprise surveys in Africa ?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3798, The World Bank.
- Arne Bigsten & Mans Söderbom, 2006. "What Have We Learned from a Decade of Manufacturing Enterprise Surveys in Africa?," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 21(2), pages 241-265.
- Leora Klapper & Luc Laeven & Raghuram Rajan, 2012.
"Trade Credit Contracts,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 25(3), pages 838-867.
- Klapper, Leora & Laeven, Luc & Rajan, Raghuram, 2010. "Trade credit contracts," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5328, The World Bank.
- Klapper, Leora & Laeven, Luc & Rajan, Raghuram, 2011. "Trade credit contracts," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5726, The World Bank.
- Leora F. Klapper & Luc Laeven & Raghuram Rajan, 2011. "Trade Credit Contracts," NBER Working Papers 17146, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Swinnen, Johan F.M. & Vandeplas, Anneleen, 2007. "Contracting, Competition, and Rent Distribution Theory and Empirical Evidence from Developing and Transition Countries," 103rd Seminar, April 23-25, 2007, Barcelona, Spain 9413, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Van Horen, Neeltje, 2004. "Trade Credit as a Competitiveness Tool;Evidence from Developing Countries," MPRA Paper 2792, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Mar 2005.
- Klapper, Leora, 2005.
"The role of factoring for financing small and medium enterprises,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3593, The World Bank.
- Klapper, Leora, 2006. "The role of factoring for financing small and medium enterprises," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(11), pages 3111-3130, November.
- Fabbri, Daniela & Klapper, Leora, 2008. "Market power and the matching of trade credit terms," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4754, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.