Alternative Estimates of the Effect of Schooling on Earnings
AbstractThis paper examines how assumptions imposed on the data influence estimates of schooling's effect on earnings. The paper models schooling decisions as treatment effects and imposes assumptions about schooling selection to estimate bounds on the treatment effect. The study begins by using the worst-case bounds derived by Manski (1989, 1990, 1994, 1995) and adds assumptions from the Roy model of schooling self-selection to narrow the bounds on the schooling treatment effect. The bounds are narrowed further by using family structure, college proximity, and school-quality characteristics as exclusion restrictions. The selection problem requires the researcher to make explicit assumptions to estimate the effect of schooling on earnings. This paper demonstrates that different selection assumptions yield very different results. © 2000 by the President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal The Review of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 82 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gundersen, Craig & Kreider, Brent & Pepper, John V., 2011.
"The Impact of the National School Lunch Program on Child Health: A Nonparametric Bounds Analysis,"
Staff General Research Papers
32719, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Gundersen, Craig & Kreider, Brent & Pepper, John, 2012. "The impact of the National School Lunch Program on child health: A nonparametric bounds analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 166(1), pages 79-91.
- Gundersen, Craig & Kreider, Brent & Pepper, John V., 2011. "The Impact of the National School Lunch Program on Child Health: A Nonparametric Bounds Analysis," Staff General Research Papers 32720, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Gundersen, Craig & Kreider, Brent & Pepper, John V., 2009. "The Impact of the National School Lunch Program on Child Health: A Nonparametric Bounds Analysis," Staff General Research Papers 13148, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Craig Gundersen & Brent Kreider, 2008.
"Food Stamps and Food Insecurity: What Can Be Learned in the Presence of Nonclassical Measurement Error?,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 43(2), pages 352-382.
- Gundersen, Craig & Kreider, Brent, 2006. "Food Stamps and Food Insecurity: What Can Be Learned in the Presence of Non-Classical Measurement Error?," Staff General Research Papers 12690, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Arnaud Chevalier & Gauthier Lanot, 2002.
"Monotonicity and the Roy Model,"
Keele Economics Research Papers
KERP 2002/06, Centre for Economic Research, Keele University.
- Ohkusa, Yasushi, 2004. "Programme evaluation of unemployment benefits in Japan: An average treatment effect approach," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 95-111, January.
- Gerfin, Michael & Schellhorn, Martin, 2005.
"Nonparametric Bounds on the Effect of Deductibles in Health Care Insurance on Doctor Visits – Swiss Evidence,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1616, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Michael Gerfin & Martin Schellhorn, 2006. "Nonparametric bounds on the effect of deductibles in health care insurance on doctor visits - Swiss evidence," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(9), pages 1011-1020.
- Reamonn Lydon & Ian Walker, 2005.
"Welfare to work, wages and wage growth,"
Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 26(3), pages 335-370, September.
- Yasushi Ohkusa, 2003. "Programme Evaluation of Unemployment Benefits in Japan: An Average Treatment Effect Approach," ISER Discussion Paper 0570, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Fernando Barceinas, 2003. "Endogeneidad y rendimientos de la educación," Estudios Económicos, El Colegio de México, Centro de Estudios Económicos, vol. 18(1), pages 79-131.
- Edna Maria Villarreal Peralta, 2010. "Evolución histórica de los rendimientos educativos en México: 1987-2009," Investigaciones de Economía de la Educación volume 5, in: María Jesús Mancebón-Torrubia & Domingo P. Ximénez-de-Embún & José María Gómez-Sancho & Greg (ed.), Investigaciones de Economía de la Educación 5, edition 1, volume 5, chapter 11, pages 223-244 Asociación de Economía de la Educación.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.