Problems in the Numerical Simulation of Models with Heterogeneous Agents and Economic Distortions
AbstractOur work has been concerned with the numerical simulation of dynamic economies with heterogeneous agents and economic distortions. Recent research has drawn attention to inherent difficulties in the computation of competitive equilibria for these economies: A continuous Markovian solution may fail to exist, and some commonly used numerical algorithms may not deliver accurate approximations. We consider a reliable algorithm set forth in Feng et al. (2009), and discuss problems related to the existence and computation of Markovian equilibria, as well as convergence and accuracy properties. We offer new insights into numerical simulation. (JEL: C6, D5, E2) (c) 2010 by the European Economic Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Journal of the European Economic Association.
Volume (Year): 8 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2-3 (04-05)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.mitpressjournals.org/jeea
Other versions of this item:
- Adrian Peralta-Alva & Manuel S. Santos, 2009. "Problems in the numerical simulation of models with heterogeneous agents and economic distortions," Working Papers 2009-036, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Adrian Peralta - Alva & Manuel S. Santos, 2009. "Problems in the Numerical Simulation of Models with Heterogeneous Agents and Economic Distortions," Working Papers 2010-14, University of Miami, Department of Economics.
- C6 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling
- D5 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium
- E2 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Benhabib, Jess & Day, Richard H., 1982. "A characterization of erratic dynamics in, the overlapping generations model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 37-55, November.
- Zhigang Feng & Jianjun Miao & Adrian Peralta‐Alva & Manuel S. Santos, 2014.
"Numerical Simulation Of Nonoptimal Dynamic Equilibrium Models,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 55, pages 83-110, 02.
- Zhigang Feng & Jianjun Miao & Adrian Peralta-Alva & Manual Santos, 2009. "Numerical Simulation of Nonoptimal Dynamic Equilibrium Models," Working Papers 0912, University of Miami, Department of Economics.
- Zhigang Feng & Manuel Santos & Adrian Peralta-Alva & Jianjun Miao, 2009. "Numerical Simulation of Nonoptimal Dynamic Equilibrium Models," 2009 Meeting Papers 541, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Zhigang Feng & Jianjun Miao & Adrian Peralta-Alva & Manuel S. Santos, 2009. "Numerical simulation of nonoptimal dynamic equilibrium models," Working Papers 2009-018, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Zhigang Feng & Jianjun Miao & Adrian Peralta-Alva & Manuel S. Santos, . "Numerical Simulation of Nonoptimal Dynamic Equilibrium Models," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series wp2009-013, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Kubler, Felix & Schmedders, Karl, 2002. "Recursive Equilibria In Economies With Incomplete Markets," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(02), pages 284-306, April.
- Manuel S. Santos & Adrian Peralta-Alva, 2005.
"Accuracy of Simulations for Stochastic Dynamic Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 73(6), pages 1939-1976, November.
- Manuel S. Santos & Adrian Peralta-Alva, 2003. "Accuracy of Simulations for Stochastic Dynamic Models," Levine's Bibliography 666156000000000264, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Manuel S. Santos & Adrian Peralta-Alva, 2003. "Accuracy Of Simulations For Stochastic Dynamic Models," Economics Working Papers we034615, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Krusell, P & Smith Jr, A-A, 1995.
"Income and Wealth Heterogeneity in the Macroeconomic,"
RCER Working Papers
399, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Per Krusell & Anthony A. Smith & Jr., 1998. "Income and Wealth Heterogeneity in the Macroeconomy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(5), pages 867-896, October.
- Per Krusell & Anthony A. Smith, Jr., . "Income and Wealth Heterogeneity in the Macroeconomy," GSIA Working Papers 1997-37, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Duffie, Darrell, et al, 1994. "Stationary Markov Equilibria," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(4), pages 745-81, July.
- Felix Kubler & Herakles Polemarchakis, 2004. "Stationary Markov equilibria for overlapping generations," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 623-643, October.
- Blume, Lawrence E., 1982. "New techniques for the study of stochastic equilibrium processes," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1-2), pages 61-70, January.
- Kydland, Finn E. & Prescott, Edward C., 1980. "Dynamic optimal taxation, rational expectations and optimal control," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 79-91, May.
- Pengfei Wang & Yi Wen, 2013. "Financial development and long-run volatility trends," Working Papers 2013-003, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- José Cao-Alvira, 2012. "Velocity Volatility Assessment of Monetary Shocks on Cash-in-Advance Economies," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 40(3), pages 293-311, October.
- Balbus, Łukasz & Reffett, Kevin & Woźny, Łukasz, 2013. "A constructive geometrical approach to the uniqueness of Markov stationary equilibrium in stochastic games of intergenerational altruism," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 1019-1039.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.