Competitive Advantage and Internationalization of Italian Small and Medium-Sized Manufacturing Firms
AbstractThe paper aims at exploring the factors needed by small and medium sized manufacturing enterprises to obtain a successful positioning in the international market and at identifying what there is at the root of their competitive advantage. Using a sample of 519 small and medium sized firms, with 20 to 250 employees, operating in five Italian regions, the empirical evidence reveals that the competitive advantage of Italian small enterprises is based upon a combination of elements such as price, differentiation and high technical standards of the product. According to this study, to be competitive in respect of price remains however the imperative of Italian SMEs’ behaviour in international markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by DSI - Dipartimento di Studi sull'Impresa in its journal DSI Essays Series.
Volume (Year): 1 (2009)
Issue (Month): ()
Competitive Advantage; Internationalization; Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs); Manufacturing Firms;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L15 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Information and Product Quality
- M16 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - International Business Administration
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Elisa Arrigo, 2010. "Innovation and Market-Driven Management in Fast Fashion Companies," Symphonya. Emerging Issues in Management, University of Milano-Bicocca, issue 2 Intangi.
- Marco Valeri, 2011. "The Role of Time for the Competitiveness of SMEs in the Service Sector," DSI Essays Series, DSI - Dipartimento di Studi sull'Impresa, vol. 17.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mario Risso).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.