L’Indice De Développement Humain : Une Évaluation Pour Mayotte
AbstractThe position of Mayotte in terms of development is a critical issue following its recent accession to the status of French Overseas Department. In this article we propose measuring the level of development by the Human De-velopment Index (HDI) established by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), a composite indicator that integrates dimensions relating to monetary wealth, health, and education within an economy. We perform the calculation for Mayotte and La Reunion (the other French Overseas Department in the Indian Ocean), for years 2005-2007, presenting all the assumptions and estimates that have proven necessary. In the light of this assessment, it appears clearly that Mayotte’s development gap is substantial since its level of human development ranks approximately 100th on a global scale, as compared to La Reunion, ranking 40th and France, ranking 8th on the index.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var in its journal Région et Développement.
Volume (Year): 36 (2012)
Issue (Month): ()
DEVELOPMENT; HUMAN DEVELOPMENT INDEX; MAYOTTE; LA REUNION; OVERSEAS DEPARTMENT;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I00 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - General - - - General
- O15 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Economic Development: Human Resources; Human Development; Income Distribution; Migration
- R00 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michel DIMOU, 2004. "Économies Insulaires Et Trajectoires De Développement - Une Comparaison Entre Maurice Et La Réunion," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 20, pages 215-236.
- Michaël GOUJON, 2008. "L’Indice De Développement Humain : Une Évaluation Pour La Réunion," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 27, pages 225-244.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christophe Van Huffel).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.