Économies Insulaires Et Trajectoires De Développement - Une Comparaison Entre Maurice Et La Réunion
AbstractThe economic development of small islands may follow different pathways, according to the particular combination of growth mechanisms. A comparative study of long term growth in Mauritius and Reunion, two islands with strong historical, sociological and cultural links, shows that they are engaged in two different processes of industrialization. Reunion has focused on its local market and a demand-oriented development related to the "administration rent". Mauritius, on the other hand, has preferred a supplyoriented model, based on opening to international competition. Nevertheless, both economies faced structural problems in the late nineties, when the industrialization dynamics faded away in Mauritius and almost came to an end in Reunion.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var in its journal Region et Developpement.
Volume (Year): 20 (2004)
Issue (Month): ()
ÉCONOMIE INSULAIRE; LA RÉUNION; MAURICE; MÉCANISMES DE CROISSANCE; INDUSTRIALISATION;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- L67 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Other Consumer Nondurables
- O14 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Industrialization; Manufacturing and Service Industries; Choice of Technology
- P51 - Economic Systems - - Comparative Economic Systems - - - Comparative Analysis of Economic Systems
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fabien Candau & Michaël Goujon & Jean-François Hoarau & Serge Rey, 2014.
"Real exchange rate and competitiveness of an EU's ultra-peripheral region: La Reunion Island,"
CEPII research center, issue 137, pages 1-21.
- Fabien CANDAU & Michaël GOUJON & Jean-François HOARAU & Serge REY, 2013. "Real Exchange Rate and Competitiveness of an EU's Ultra-peripheral Region: La Reunion Island," Working Papers 2013-2014_6, CATT - UPPA - Université de Pau et des Pays de l'Adour, revised Oct 2013.
- Michaël GOUJON & François HERMET, 2012. "L’Indice De Développement Humain : Une Évaluation Pour Mayotte," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 36, pages 229-244.
- Michaël GOUJON, 2008. "L’Indice De Développement Humain : Une Évaluation Pour La Réunion," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 27, pages 225-244.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christophe Van Huffel).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.