Économies Insulaires Et Trajectoires De Développement - Une Comparaison Entre Maurice Et La Réunion
AbstractThe economic development of small islands may follow different pathways, according to the particular combination of growth mechanisms. A comparative study of long term growth in Mauritius and Reunion, two islands with strong historical, sociological and cultural links, shows that they are engaged in two different processes of industrialization. Reunion has focused on its local market and a demand-oriented development related to the "administration rent". Mauritius, on the other hand, has preferred a supplyoriented model, based on opening to international competition. Nevertheless, both economies faced structural problems in the late nineties, when the industrialization dynamics faded away in Mauritius and almost came to an end in Reunion.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var in its journal Region et Developpement.
Volume (Year): 20 (2004)
Issue (Month): ()
ÉCONOMIE INSULAIRE; LA RÉUNION; MAURICE; MÉCANISMES DE CROISSANCE; INDUSTRIALISATION;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- L67 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Other Consumer Nondurables
- O14 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Industrialization; Manufacturing and Service Industries; Choice of Technology
- P51 - Economic Systems - - Comparative Economic Systems - - - Comparative Analysis of Economic Systems
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Michaël GOUJON, 2008. "L’Indice De Développement Humain : Une Évaluation Pour La Réunion," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 27, pages 225-244.
- Michaël GOUJON & François HERMET, 2012. "L’Indice De Développement Humain : Une Évaluation Pour Mayotte," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 36, pages 229-244.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christophe Van Huffel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.