L’Indice De Développement Humain : Une Évaluation Pour La Réunion
AbstractThe development gap in La Réunion is a matter of debate to the extent that the concept of development is multifaceted and assessing the level or the gap in this matter is complex. The Human Development Index (HDI) of the United Nations Development Program is undoubtedly the most famous composite index of development. This index summarizes three basic dimensions of development: monetary resources, health and education. For the first time, this paper aims to assess the level of HDI for La Réunion, providing transparent information on the hypotheses and approximations that are required to compute the index. For the year 2004, the HDI level is found to be 0.870 in La Réunion which thus virtually ranks 35th in the World while France then ranked 16th. The development gap appears to be more marked in the monetary income dimension than in the health and education dimensions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var in its journal Région et Développement.
Volume (Year): 27 (2008)
Issue (Month): ()
DÉVELOPPEMENT; INDICE DE DÉVELOPPEMENT HUMAIN; SCOLARISATION; ILLETTRISME; LA REUNION;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I00 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - General - - - General
- O15 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Economic Development: Human Resources; Human Development; Income Distribution; Migration
- R00 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michel DIMOU, 2004. "Économies Insulaires Et Trajectoires De Développement - Une Comparaison Entre Maurice Et La Réunion," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 20, pages 215-236.
- Michaël GOUJON & François HERMET, 2012. "L’Indice De Développement Humain : Une Évaluation Pour Mayotte," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 36, pages 229-244.
- Fabien CANDAU & Michaël GOUJON & Jean-François HOARAU & Serge REY, 2013.
"Real Exchange Rate and Competitiveness of an EU's Ultra-peripheral Region: La Reunion Island,"
2013-2014_6, CATT - UPPA - Université de Pau et des Pays de l'Adour, revised Oct 2013.
- Fabien Candau & Michaël Goujon & Jean-François Hoarau & Serge Rey, 2014. "Real exchange rate and competitiveness of an EU's ultra-peripheral region: La Reunion Island," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, issue 137, pages 1-21.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christophe Van Huffel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.