Foreign direct investment and economic performance in transition economies: evidence from China
AbstractBased upon a production function with FDI representing updated technology from more developed, market-based economies, this study tests the hypothesis that FDI contributes to the economic growth of less developed, transition economies via technology updating, using data for 30 Chinese provinces from 1985 to 2000. It is found that provinces with a higher FDI ratio experienced faster technology updating and more rapid economic growth. The study suggests that less developed, transition economies should encourage FDI from more developed, market-based economies so as to accelerate technology updating and economic growth.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Post-Communist Economies.
Volume (Year): 16 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=102230
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pietro Garibaldi & Nada Mora & Ratna Sahay & Jeromin Zettelmeyer, 2001.
"What Moves Capital to Transition Economies?,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 48(4), pages 6.
- Chow, Gregory C, 1993.
"Capital Formation and Economic Growth in China,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 108(3), pages 809-42, August.
- Eden, Lorraine & Levitas, Edward & Martinez, Richard J, 1997. " The Production, Transfer and Spillover of Technology: Comparing Large and Small Multinationals as Technology Producers," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 53-66, February.
- Feder, Gershon, 1983. "On exports and economic growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1-2), pages 59-73.
- Agata Antkiewicz & John Whalley, 2006. "Recent Chinese Buyout Activity and the Implications for Global Architecture," NBER Working Papers 12072, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lucyna Kornecki & Vedapuri Raghavan, 2011. "Inward FDI Stock and Growth in Central and Eastern Europe," Review of Economics & Finance, Better Advances Press, Canada, vol. 1, pages 19-30, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.