Productivity Spillovers from Foreign Direct Investment in Developing Countries: A Meta-Regression Analysis
AbstractThis paper reviews the empirical literature on technology spillovers from foreign direct investment (FDI) in developing countries. Our meta-analysis uses a sample of 32 studies to determine what aspects of study design and data characteristics explain the magnitude, significance, and direction of spillovers from FDI. Results suggest that spillover effects are more pronounced when studies measure the effect of FDI spillovers on output, and are more likely to be significant and positive for Asian countries. Results also highlight the possibility that the documented spillover effects from FDI in developing countries may be partly a product of model misspecification. Copyright (C) 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Review of Development Economics.
Volume (Year): 14 (2010)
Issue (Month): s1 (08)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1363-6669
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Havranek, Tomas, 2008.
"The Supply of Foreign Direct Investment Incentives: Subsidy Competition in an Oligopolistic Framework,"
10770, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tomáš Havránek, 2009. "The supply of foreign direct investment incentives: subsidy competition in an oligopolistic framework," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2009(2), pages 131-155.
- Yanling Wang, 2010. "Exposure to FDI and New Plant Survival: Evidence in Canada," Carleton Economic Papers 10-05, Carleton University, Department of Economics.
- Damijan, Jože P. & Rojec, Matija & Majcen, Boris & Knell, Mark, 2013.
"Impact of firm heterogeneity on direct and spillover effects of FDI: Micro-evidence from ten transition countries,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 895-922.
- Joze P. Damijan & Matija Rojec & Boris Majcen & Mark Knell, 2008. "Impact of Firm Heterogeneity on Direct and Spillover Effects of FDI: Micro Evidence from Ten Transition Countries," LICOS Discussion Papers 21808, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Farla, Kristine & de Crombrugghe, Denis & Verspagen, Bart, 2013. "Institutions, Foreign Direct Investment, and Domestic Investment: crowding out or crowding in?," MERIT Working Papers 054, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Iwasaki, Ichiro & Tokunaga, Masahiro, 2013. "Spillover versus Ownership: A Meta-Analysis of Transition Literature," RRC Working Paper Series 42, Russian Research Center, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Giorgia Giovannetti & Elisa Ticci, 2013. "Foreign Direct Investment in Sub-Saharan Africa: Drivers and the Challenge of the Land-Energy Nexus," Working Papers - Economics wp2013_09.rdf, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze per l'Economia e l'Impresa.
- Mebratie, A.D. & van Bergeijk, P.A.G., 2011.
"Firm Heterogeneity and Development: A Meta Analysis of FDI Productivity Spill-overs,"
ISS Working Papers - General Series
525, International Institute of Social Studies of Erasmus University Rotterdam (ISS), The Hague.
- Anagaw Derseh Mebratie & Peter A. G. van Bergeijk, 2013. "Firm heterogeneity and development: A meta-analysis of FDI productivity spillovers," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(1), pages 52-70, February.
- Hanousek, Jan & Kocenda, Evzen & Maurel, Mathilde, 2011.
"Direct and indirect effects of FDI in emerging European markets: A survey and meta-analysis,"
Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 301-322, September.
- Jan Hanousek & Evžen Kočenda & Mathilde Maurel, 2010. "Direct and indirect effects of FDI in emerging European markets : a survey and meta-analysis," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00469544, HAL.
- Jan Hanousek & Evžen Kocenda & Mathilde Maurel, 2010. "Direct and indirect effects of FDI in emerging European markets : a survey and meta-analysis," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 10024, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Jan Hanousek & Evzen Kocenda & Mathilde Maurel, 2010. "Direct and Indirect Effects of FDI in Emerging European Markets: A Survey and Meta-analysis," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp976, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Angelo Antoci & Paolo Russu & Elisa Ticci, 2011.
"Investement inflows and sustainable development in a natural resource-dependent economy,"
Department of Economic Policy, Finance and Development (DEPFID) University of Siena
0311, Department of Economic Policy, Finance and Development (DEPFID), University of Siena.
- Angelo Antoci & Paolo Russu & Elisa Ticci, 2013. "Investment inflows and sustainable development in a natural resource-dependent economy," Department of Economics University of Siena 670, Department of Economics, University of Siena.
- Geoffrey G. Gachino, 2011. "Determinants of FDI Spillover in the Kenyan Manufacturing Industry: Firm-Level Evidence," International Journal of Business and Economics, College of Business, and College of Finance, Feng Chia University, Taichung, Taiwan, vol. 10(3), pages 235-255, December.
- Lazzaroni, S. & van Bergeijk, P.A.G., 2013. "Natural disasters impact, factors of resilience and development: A meta-analysis of the macroeconomic literature," ISS Working Papers - General Series 554, International Institute of Social Studies of Erasmus University Rotterdam (ISS), The Hague.
- Blanco, Luisa R., 2012. "The Spatial Interdependence of FDI in Latin America," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(7), pages 1337-1351.
- Ljungwall, Christer & Gustavsson Tingvall, Patrik, 2008.
"Is China Different? A Meta Analysis Of The Effect Of Foreign Direct Investment On Domestic Firms,"
Working Paper Series
2008-2, China Economic Research Center, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Christer Ljungwall & Patrik Gustavsson Tingvall, 2010. "Is China different? A meta-analysis of the effects of foreign direct investment on domestic firms," Journal of Chinese Economic and Business Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(4), pages 353-371.
- Iwasaki, Ichiro & Tokunaga, Masahiro, 2013. "Macroecnomic Impacts of FDI in Transition Economies: A Meta-Study," RRC Working Paper Series 39, Russian Research Center, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.