Measuring Gender (In)Equality: The OECD Gender, Institutions and Development Data Base
AbstractThe Development Centre of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development's Gender, Institutions and Development Data Base (GID-DB) is a new cross-country research tool with comprehensive measures of gender equality. It improves upon existing sources because it is the only data base on gender that systematically incorporates indicators of social norms, traditions and family law. The GID-DB thereby permits analysis of hypotheses that link cultural practices to gender equality, human development and economic growth. A cross-country comparison of the data indicates that inequalities in social institutions are particularly pronounced in countries with low female literacy rates, but correlate less strongly with Gross Domestic Product per capita. Similarly, our econometric analysis suggests a clearly negative correlation between gender inequality of the OECD Development Center and women's labor-force participation.*The views expressed in this article are the personal opinions of the authors
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Human Development and Capabilities.
Volume (Year): 9 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CJHD20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Iñaki Permanyer, 2013. "Are UNDP Indices Appropriate to Capture Gender Inequalities in Europe?," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 110(3), pages 927-950, February.
- Potrafke, Niklas & Ursprung, Heinrich W., 2012.
"Globalization and gender equality in the course of development,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 399-413.
- Niklas Potrafke & Heinrich Ursprung, 2012. "Globalization and gender equality in the course of development," Working Paper Series of the Department of Economics, University of Konstanz 2012-07, Department of Economics, University of Konstanz.
- Angela Hawken & Gerardo Munck, 2013. "Cross-National Indices with Gender-Differentiated Data: What Do They Measure? How Valid Are They?," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 111(3), pages 801-838, May.
- Eduardo Bericat, 2012. "The European Gender Equality Index: Conceptual and Analytical Issues," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 108(1), pages 1-28, August.
- Branisa, Boris & Klasen, Stephan & Ziegler, Maria, 2013. "Gender Inequality in Social Institutions and Gendered Development Outcomes," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 252-268.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.