Understanding and reducing persistent poverty in Africa: Introduction to a special issue
AbstractThis paper introduces a special issue exploring persistent poverty in sub-Saharan Africa. As a set, these papers break new ground in exploring the dynamics of structural poverty, integrating qualitative and quantitative methods of analysis and adopting an asset-based approach to the study of changes in well-being, especially in response to a wide range of different (climatic, health, political, and other) shocks. In this introductory essay, we frame these studies, building directly on evolving conceptualisations of poverty in Africa.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Development Studies.
Volume (Year): 42 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/FJDS20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bigsten, Arne & Shimeles, Abebe, 2008. "Poverty Transition and Persistence in Ethiopia: 1994-2004," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 36(9), pages 1559-1584, September.
- Dillon, Andrew & Quiñones, Esteban J., 2010. "Asset dynamics in Northern Nigeria:," IFPRI discussion papers, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) 1049, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Bogale, Ayalneh & Korf, Benedikt, 2009. "Analysis of poverty and its covariates among smallholder farmers in the eastern Hararghe highlands of Ethiopia," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China, International Association of Agricultural Economists 51469, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Santos, Paulo & Barrett, Christopher B., 2011. "Persistent poverty and informal credit," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 96(2), pages 337-347, November.
- Alem, Yonas, 2014. "Poverty Persistence and Intra-Household Heterogeneity in Occupations: Some Evidence from Ethiopia," Discussion Papers, Resources For the Future dp-14-05-efd, Resources For the Future.
- Alem, Yonas, 2013. "Poverty Persistence and Intra-Household Heterogeneity in Occupations: Evidence from Urban Ethiopia," Working Papers in Economics, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics 580, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Giesbert, Lena & Schindler, Kati, 2012.
"Assets, Shocks, and Poverty Traps in Rural Mozambique,"
World Development, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 40(8), pages 1594-1609.
- Lena Giesbert & Kati Schindler, 2010. "Assets, Shocks, and Poverty Traps in Rural Mozambique," GIGA Working Paper Series 150, GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies.
- Lena Giesbert & Kati Schindler, 2010. "Assets, Shocks, and Poverty Traps in Rural Mozambique," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1073, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Chapoto, Antony & Banda, Diana J. & Haggblade, Steven & Hamukwala, Priscilla, 2011. "Factors Affecting Poverty Dynamics in Rural Zambia," Food Security Collaborative Working Papers, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics 109888, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.