Public Investment and Economic Performance in Highly Indebted Poor Countries: An Empirical Assessment
AbstractUnderstanding how public investment affects economic performance in highly indebted low-income countries is crucial in order to implement effective fiscal policies for adjustment with growth. In this paper we provide an empirical analysis to investigate the relationship between public investment, private investment and output. A dynamic econometric procedure is implemented on a selected group of Highly Indebted Poor Countries (HIPCs). Our results provide empirical support for the crowding-in hypothesis and a positive relation between public investment and output.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal International Review of Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 20 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CIRA20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Alfredo M. Pereira & Jorge M. Andraz, 2013.
"On The Economic Effects Of Public Infrastructure Investment: A Survey Of The International Evidence,"
Journal of Economic Development,
Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 38(4), pages 1-37, December.
- Alfredo Marvão Pereira & Jorge M. Andraz, 2013. "On the economic effects of public infrastructure investment:A survey of the international evidence," Working Papers 108, Department of Economics, College of William and Mary.
- Alfredo Pereira & Jorge Andraz, 2012. "On the economic effects of public infrastructure investment: A survey of the international evidence," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2012_10, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- Gianpiero Torrisi, 2010.
"Infrastructures and Economic Performance: A Critical Comparison Across Four Approaches,"
Theoretical and Practical Research in Economic Fields,
ASERS Publishing, vol. 0(1), pages 86-96, June.
- Torrisi, Gianpiero, 2009. "Infrastructures and economic performance: a critical comparison across four approaches," MPRA Paper 18688, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Romp, Ward & de Haan, Jakob, 2005.
"Public capital and economic growth: a critical survey,"
2/2005, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Ward Romp & Jakob de Haan, 2007. "Public Capital and Economic Growth: A Critical Survey," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 8(s1), pages 6-52, 04.
- Farla, Kristine & de Crombrugghe, Denis & Verspagen, Bart, 2013. "Institutions, Foreign Direct Investment, and Domestic Investment: crowding out or crowding in?," MERIT Working Papers 054, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.