Corruption and Economic Efficiency: Panel Data Evidence
AbstractThis paper investigates empirically the effect of corruption on countries' economic efficiency. By using a sample of 79 countries for the time period 2000-2006 the paper applies DEA window analysis and econometric panel data techniques. The results reveal that there is a U-shaped relationship between countries' corruption perception levels and economic efficiency. Furthermore, it appears that corruption has a negative effect on countries' economic efficiency. For the first time the turning points of such a relationship are being produced indicating that on average terms and regardless of countries' economic structure, Corruption Perception Index (CPI) above five initiate a positive effect on a countries' economic efficiency.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Global Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 39 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=111729
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Buia, Raluca E. & Molinari, M. Cristina, 2012.
"Corruption and positive selection in privatization,"
Research in Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 66(4), pages 297-304.
- Raluca E. Buia & M. Cristina Molinari, 2008. "Corruption and Positive Selection in Privatization," Working Papers 2008_43, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Graziano Abrate & Fabrizio Erbetta & Giovanni Fraquelli & Davide Vannoni, 2012.
"The Costs of Corruption in the Italian Solid Waste Industry,"
Carlo Alberto Notebooks
275, Collegio Carlo Alberto.
- Graziano Abrate & Fabrizio Erbetta & Giovanni Fraquelli & Davide Vannoni, 2012. "The Costs of Corruption in the Italian Solid Waste Industry," Working papers 004, Department of Economics and Statistics (Dipartimento di Scienze Economico-Sociali e Matematico-Statistiche), University of Torino.
- repec:tur:wpapnw:4 is not listed on IDEAS
- Halkos, George & Tzeremes, Nickolaos, 2011. "A conditional full frontier modelling for analyzing environmental efficiency and economic growth," MPRA Paper 32839, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Maria Cristina Molinari, 2011. "Corruption in Privatization and Governance Regimes," Working Papers 201_28, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.