Women's Sexual Orientation and Labor Market Outcomes in Greece
AbstractThis study is the first to use a field experiment to provide information on the relationship between women being lesbian and their hiring prospects in Greece. Data for 2007-8 support previous findings (in Canada and Austria) indicating that lesbians face hiring discrimination. The study finds that the estimated probability of lesbian applicants receiving an invitation for an interview is 27.7 percent lower than that for heterosexual women applicants. More importantly, the study shows that entry wage differentials assigned are inconsistent with the ascendant empirical claims (from the United States, the Netherlands, and the United Kingdom) that lesbians have higher market earnings. The study concludes that the negative effect of lesbian sexual orientation on wage outcomes in Greece is 6.1 percent. Given that legal actions in Greece have the potential to affect sexual-orientation minorities, it is important to understand the relationships between sexual orientation and the labor market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Feminist Economics.
Volume (Year): 17 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=101482
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- JEL - Labor and Demographic Economics - - - - -
- Cod - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - - - -
- C93 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Design of Experiments - - - Field Experiments
- J7 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor Discrimination
- J82 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor Standards - - - Labor Force Composition
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ahmed, Ali & Andersson, Lina & Hammarstedt, Mats, 2011. "Are homosexuals discriminated against in the hiring process?," Working Paper Series 2011:21, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.