The impact of open market equity repurchases on UK equity prices
AbstractThis paper presents the first empirical evidence regarding the share price impact of open market stock repurchases in the UK. The analysis reveals a positive reaction on the day of the announcement of the repurchase, consistent with the reaction found under very different circumstances in the US, and consistent with the expected reaction on the retirement of equity. The transactions are typically instigated by firms that are underperforming the market and tends to follow a short-term fall in the firm's share price. The reaction on the day of the repurchase is positively related to the percentage of equity transacted. There is no evidence that the return on the day of the announcement is affected by the characteristics of the repurchase.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal The European Journal of Finance.
Volume (Year): 2 (1996)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/REJF20
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies; Insider Trading
- inf - - - - - -
- and - - - - - -
- mar - - - - - -
- eff - - - - - -
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- fin - - - - - -
- pol - - - - - -
- cap - - - - - -
- and - - - - - -
- own - - - - - -
- str - - - - - -
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Carol Padgett & Zhiqi Wang, . "Short-Term Returns of UK Share Buyback Activity," ICMA Centre Discussion Papers in Finance icma-dp2007-10, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- Michael Firth & T. Y. Leung & Oliver M. Rui, 2008.
"Double Signals or Single Signal? An Investigation of Insider Trading Around Share Repurchases,"
222008, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Firth, Michael & Leung, T.Y. & Rui, Oliver M., 2010. "Double signals or single signal? An investigation of insider trading around share repurchases," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 376-388, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.