Ownership structure and open market stock repurchases in France
AbstractThis paper examines open market stock repurchases in France. We find a positive average market reaction to the repurchase announcement. However, the magnitude of the price reaction is found to depend on a number of corporate governance structure measures. The positive aspects of the announcement only appear for a company with a low likelihood of being taken over, and with a low risk of minority shareholder expropriation. Specifically, stock repurchase programmes are good news when the firm is supported by foreign institutional investors, and in the case of controlled firms, when the firm has a second large shareholder, which guarantees an effective balance of power for the controlling shareholders.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal The European Journal of Finance.
Volume (Year): 12 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/REJF20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- von Eije, Henk & Megginson, William L., 2008. "Dividends and share repurchases in the European Union," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(2), pages 347-374, August.
- Corinne Perraudin & Héloïse Petit & Antoine Rebérioux, 2007. "Marché boursier et gestion de l'emploi : analyse sur données d'entreprises françaises," Post-Print halshs-00175873, HAL.
- Michel Albouy & Tania Morris, 2006. "Les rachats d’actions au Canada:motivations et impact de l’activité économique," Revue Finance Contrôle Stratégie, revues.org, vol. 9(4), pages 5-32, December.
- Lee, Yong-Gyo & Jung, Sung-Chang & Thornton, John Jr., 2005. "Long-term stock performance after open-market repurchases in Korea," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 191-209, December.
- Edith Ginglinger & Jacques Hamon, 2009.
"Share repurchase regulations: do firms play by the rules?,"
- Ginglinger, Edith & Hamon, Jacques, 2009. "Share repurchase regulations: Do firms play by the rules?," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 81-96, June.
- Andriosopoulos, Dimitris & Hoque, Hafiz, 2013. "The determinants of share repurchases in Europe," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 27(C), pages 65-76.
- Jung, Sung-Chang & Lee, Yong-Gyo & Thornton, John Jr., 2005. "An empirical comparison between operations of stabilization funds and stock repurchases in Korea," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 319-341, June.
- Dow, Sandra & McGuire, Jean, 2009. "Propping and tunneling: Empirical evidence from Japanese keiretsu," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(10), pages 1817-1828, October.
- Andreas Hackethal & Alexandre Zdantchouk, 2006. "Signaling Power of Open Market Share Repurchases in Germany," Financial Markets and Portfolio Management, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 123-151, June.
- Haw, In-Mu & Ho, Simon S.M. & Hu, Bingbing & Zhang, Xu, 2011. "The contribution of stock repurchases to the value of the firm and cash holdings around the world," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 152-166, February.
- Evelyne Poincelot & Dominique Poincelot, 2011. "Rachats d’actions annoncés versus rachats réalisés:une analyse du découplage sur le marché français - Announced share repurchase versus repurchase shares achieved: an analysis of decoupling," Working Papers FARGO 1110401, Université de Bourgogne - Crego EA 7317/Fargo (Research center in Finance,organizational ARchitecture and GOvernance).
- Lee, Chun I. & Ejara, Demissew Diro & Gleason, Kimberly C., 2010. "An empirical analysis of European stock repurchases," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 20(2-3), pages 114-125, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.