The information content of investment tax credits
AbstractThis study examines the association between stock prices and tax credits for new investment, which appear in the balance sheet as a tax-free reserve. A number of valuation models were developed for companies listed on the Athens Stock Exchange during the period 1990-4. The empirical findings reveal that retained earnings committed to new investment, i.e. investment tax credits for future investments, are valued differently from both the remaining equity and the remaining earnings. Moreover, the empirical evidence suggests that the investment tax credits in Greece are not always viewed in a positive fashion by the stock market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal European Accounting Review.
Volume (Year): 10 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/REAR20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Beaver, William & Lambert, Richard & Morse, Dale, 1980. "The information content of security prices," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 3-28, March.
- Collins, Daniel W. & Kothari, S. P., 1989. "An analysis of intertemporal and cross-sectional determinants of earnings response coefficients," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(2-3), pages 143-181, July.
- Dimitrios Ghicas & Dimosthenis Hevas & Aphroditi Papadaki, 1996. "Fixed assets revaluations and their association with stock returns," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(4), pages 651-670.
- Myron J. Gordon & Eli Shapiro, 1956. "Capital Equipment Analysis: The Required Rate of Profit," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 3(1), pages 102-110, October.
- Bower, Richard S & Bower, Dorothy H, 1969. "Risk and the Valuation of Common Stock," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(3), pages 349-62, May/June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.