Ricardo on machinery: a dynamic analysis
AbstractI construct a dynamic two-sector model which formalizes Ricardo's argument on the effects of the introduction of machinery. My model does not require the inappropriate assumptions common to other Ricardian models. Using this model, I show that if machinery is introduced, both the demand for labour and the output of the consumption good must decline temporarily and can then recover. As well, the temporal decline of value of the gross produce is not a necessary condition for the above temporal decline of the demand for labour.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal The European Journal of the History of Economic Thought.
Volume (Year): 7 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=104706
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hicks, John & Hollander, Samuel, 1977. "Mr. Ricardo and the Moderns," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 91(3), pages 351-69, August.
- Shields, Michael P, 1989. "The Machinery Question: Can Technological Improvements Reduce Real Output?," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 56(222), pages 215-24, May.
- Dome, Takuo, 1992. "Ricardo's Theory of Tax Incidence: A Sraffian Re-interpretation," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(1), pages 43-53, March.
- Gianluca Femminis & Andrea Salanti, 1995. "Davis on Ricardo's Machinery Chapter: A Comment," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 27(1), pages 89-99, Spring.
- Barkai, Haim, 1986. "Ricardo's Volte-Face on Machinery," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(3), pages 595-613, June.
- Samuelson, Paul A, 1988. "Mathematical Vindication of Ricardo on Machinery," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(2), pages 274-82, April.
- Hicks, J. R., 1969. "A Theory of Economic History," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198811633.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.