Testing autocorrelation in a system perspective testing autocorrelation
AbstractThe Breusch-Godfrey test for autocorrelated errors is generalised to cover systems of equations, and the properties of 18 versions of the test are studied using Monte Carlo methods. We show that only one group of tests regularly has actual size close to the nominal size; namely the likelihood ratio tests of the auxiliary regression system that are corrected in some manner for degrees-of-freedom. The Rao Ftest exhibits the best performance, whilst the commonly used TR2 test behaves badly even in single equations. However, the size and power properties of all tests deteriorate sharply as the number of equations increases, the system becomes more dynamic, the exogenous variables become more autocorrelated and the sample size decreases. This performance has, in general, an unknown degree since the interaction amongst these factors does not permit a predictive summary, as might be hoped for by response surface-type approaches.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Econometric Reviews.
Volume (Year): 18 (1999)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=107830
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- E Bataa & D R Osborn & D H Kim, 2006.
"A Further Examination of the Expectations Hypothesis for the Term Structure,"
Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series
72, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Erdenebat Bataa & Dong H. Kim & Denise R. Osborn, 2006. "A Further Examination of the Expectations Hypothesis for the Term Structure," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 0611, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Schreiber, Sven, 2008. "Did work-sharing work in France? Evidence from a structural co-integrated VAR model," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 478-490, June.
- P.D. Koellinger & A.R. Thurik, 0000. "Entrepreneurship and the Business Cycle," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 09-032/3, Tinbergen Institute, revised 30 Sep 2009.
- Mylonidis, Nikolaos & Paleologou, Suzanna-Maria, 2011. "The real uncovered interest parity: The case of Canada and the USA," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 255-267, March.
- Shakir Hussain & Ghazi Shukur, 2003. "Testing for autocorrelation in non-stationary dynamic systems of equations," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 30(4), pages 441-454.
- He, Changli & Teräsvirta, Timo & González, Andres, 2002.
"Testing parameter constancy in stationary vector autoregressive models against continuous change,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
507, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 06 May 2004.
- Changli He & Timo Terasvirta & Andres Gonzalez, 2009. "Testing Parameter Constancy in Stationary Vector Autoregressive Models Against Continuous Change," Econometric Reviews, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 28(1-3), pages 225-245.
- Mantalos, Panagiotis & Shukur, Ghazi, 2008. "Bootstrap methods for autocorrelation test with uncorrelated but not independent errors," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 1040-1050, September.
- Park, Hoanjae & Thurman, Walter N. & Easley, James E., Jr., 2004. "Modeling Inverse Demands For Fish: Empirical Welfare Measurement In Gulf And South Atlantic Fisheries," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 19(3).
- Bernhard Pfaff, . "VAR, SVAR and SVEC Models: Implementation Within R Package vars," Journal of Statistical Software, American Statistical Association, vol. 27(i04).
- Hacker, Scott & Kim, Hyunjoo & Månsson, Kristofer, 2010. "An Investigation of the Causal Relations between Exchange Rates and Interest Rate Differentials Using Wavelets," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 215, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Hatemi-J, Abdulnasser, 2004. "Multivariate tests for autocorrelation in the stable and unstable VAR models," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 661-683, July.
- Wilmar Cabrera & Javier Gutiérrez Rueda & Juan Carlos Mendoza, . "Credit Risk Stress Testing: An Exercise for Colombian Banks," Temas de Estabilidad Financiera 073, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Elger, Thomas, 2002. "The Demand for Monetary Assets in the UK; a Locally Flexible Demand System Analysis," Working Papers 2002:6, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Almasri, Abdullah & Månsson, Kristofer & Sjölander, Pär & Shukur, Ghazi, 2012. "Testing for Panel Unit Roots in the Presence of an Unknown Structural Break and Cross-Sectional Dependency," HUI Working Papers 63, HUI Research.
- Erdenebat Bataa & Dong H. Kim & Denise R. Osborn, 2007. "Expectations Hypothesis Tests in the Presence of Model Uncertainty," Discussion Paper Series 0703, Institute of Economic Research, Korea University.
- Skuterud, Mikal, 2005. "The impact of Sunday shopping on employment and hours of work in the retail industry: Evidence from Canada," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(8), pages 1953-1978, November.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:0000032 is not listed on IDEAS
- Helmut Luetkepohl, 2007. "Econometric Analysis with Vector Autoregressive Models," Economics Working Papers ECO2007/11, European University Institute.
- Ralf BRUEGGEMANN & Helmut LUETKEPOHL & Pentti SAIKKONEN, 2004.
"Residual Autocorrelation Testing for Vector Error Correction Models,"
Economics Working Papers
ECO2004/08, European University Institute.
- Bruggemann, Ralf & Lutkepohl, Helmut & Saikkonen, Pentti, 2006. "Residual autocorrelation testing for vector error correction models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 134(2), pages 579-604, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.