R&D and Productivity in German Manufacturing Firms
AbstractThis papcr uses a new firm panel data set to explore the relationship between R&D and productivity in German manufacturing firms for the period from 1979 to 1989. The results confirm the view that K&D is an important determinant of productivity growth. In the cross-section, the elasticity of sales with respect to R&D capital is on the order of 14 per cent. Using fixed-effects estimators yields R&D elasticities of about 8 per cent. Assuming different depreciation rates for R&D capital has virtually no effect on these results. Differencing estimates improve considerably when growth rates are computed over longer time periods, suggesting that the divergence between time-series and cross-sectional estimates is driven by random measurement errors. The paper also considers differences between high technology and other firms. Cross-section and panel elasticity estimates of the R&D effect diverge considerably for the two groups, while the corresponding rate of return estimators display far less variation. There is some evidence that the R&D elasticity increased during the early 1980s, and that it fell sharply back to its 1979 value during the period from 1985 to 1989.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Economics of Innovation and New Technology.
Volume (Year): 6 (1998)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/GEIN20
Other versions of this item:
- Harhoff, Dietmar, 1994. "R&D and productivity in German manufacturing firms," ZEW Discussion Papers 94-01, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hall, Bronwyn H. & Mairesse, Jacques, 1995.
"Exploring the relationship between R&D and productivity in French manufacturing firms,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 263-293, January.
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Jacques Mairesse, 1995. "Exploring the Relationship Between R&D and Productivity in French Manufacturing Firms," NBER Working Papers 3956, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tor Jakob Klette & Zvi Griliches, 1994.
"The Inconsistency of Common Scales Estimators when Output Prices are Unobserved and Endogenous,"
127, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Klette, Tor Jakob & Griliches, Zvi, 1996. "The Inconsistency of Common Scale Estimators When Output Prices Are Unobserved and Endogenous," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(4), pages 343-61, July-Aug..
- Klette, T.J., 1992. "The Inconsistency of Common Scale Estimators when Output Prices are unobserved and Endogenous," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1586, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Tor Jakob Klette & Zvi Griliches, 1996. "The Inconsistency of Common Scale Estimators When Output Prices Are Unobserved and Engogenous," NBER Working Papers 4026, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zvi Griliches & Jacques Mairesse, 1981. "Productivity and R and D at the Firm Level," NBER Working Papers 0826, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ali-Yrkkö, Jyrki & Maliranta, Mika, 2006. "Impact of R&D on Productivity - Firm-level Evidence from Finland," Discussion Papers 1031, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Francesco Aiello & Paola Cardamone, 2010.
"Regional Economic Divide And The Role Of Technological Spillovers In Italy. Evidence From Microdata,"
201010, Università della Calabria, Dipartimento di Economia, Statistica e Finanza (Ex Dipartimento di Economia e Statistica).
- Aiello, Francesco & Cardamone, Paola, 2012. "Regional economic divide and the role of technological spillovers in Italy. Evidence from microdata," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 205-220.
- Aiello, Francesco & Cardamone, Paola, 2010. "Regional economic divide and the role of technological spillovers in Italy. Evidence from microdata," MPRA Paper 22572, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- G. Medda & C. Piga, 2004. "R&S e spillover industriali: un'analisi sulle imprese italiane," Working Paper CRENoS 200406, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Spielkamp, Alfred & Berteit, Herbert & Czarnitzki, Dirk & Ransch, Siegfried & Schüssler, Reinhard, 2000. "Forschung, Entwicklung und Innovation in produktionsnahen Dienstleistungsbereichen: Impulse für die ostdeutsche Industrie und Perspektiven," ZEW Dokumentationen 00-01, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Felder, Johannes & Harhoff, Dietmar & Licht, Georg & Nerlinger, Eric A. & Stahl, Harald, 1994. "Innovationsverhalten der deutschen Wirtschaft: Ergebnisse der Innovationserhebung 1993," ZEW Dokumentationen 94-01, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Guenter Lang, 2002. "Innovative Slowdown, Productivity Reversal? - Estimating the Impact of R&D on Technological Change," Discussion Paper Series 218, Universitaet Augsburg, Institute for Economics.
- Robert Wieser, . "R&D and Productivity: Empirical Evidence at the Firm Level," WIFO Working Papers 158, WIFO.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.