Education and skills mismatch in the Italian graduate labour market
AbstractThis paper focuses on education and skills mismatch among Italian graduates. Indicators for over- and under-utilization of education and under-utilization of skills are included as explanatory factors in a wage equation, testing theories that could explain the effect of over-schooling on wages. We find little evidence to support assignment theory and also identify a relatively weak wage effect arising from educational mismatch associated with employers', as opposed to employees', perceptions of the job requirements. Our interpretation is that some employers have re-categorized jobs as requiring a degree, when they were previously filled by non-graduates, and many have not altered pay scales accordingly.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 38 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
Other versions of this item:
- Di Pietro, Giorgio & Peter Urwin, 2003. "Education and Skills Mismatch in the Italian Graduate Labour Market," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003 59, Royal Economic Society.
- I21 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Analysis of Education
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Dolton, 2001. "Over education in the graduate labour market: Some evidence from alumni data," CEE Discussion Papers 0009, Centre for the Economics of Education, LSE.
- Allen, Jim & van der Velden, Rolf, 2001.
"Educational Mismatches versus Skill Mismatches: Effects on Wages, Job Satisfaction, and On-the-Job Search,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 53(3), pages 434-52, July.
- Allen, Jim & Velden, Rolf van der, 2001. "Educational mismatches versus skill mismatches: effects on wages, job satisfaction, and on-the-job search," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-13571, Maastricht University.
- Hartog, Joop & Oosterbeek, Hessel, 1988. "Education, allocation and earnings in the Netherlands: 0verschooling?," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 185-194, April.
- H. Battu & C. R. Belfield & P. J. Sloane, 1999.
"Overeducation Among Graduates: a cohort view,"
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 7(1), pages 21-38.
- Dolton, Peter & Vignoles, Anna, 2000. "The incidence and effects of overeducation in the U.K. graduate labour market," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 179-198, April.
- Francis Green & Steven McIntosh, 2007. "Is there a genuine under-utilization of skills amongst the over-qualified?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(4), pages 427-439.
- Duncan, Greg J. & Hoffman, Saul D., 1981. "The incidence and wage effects of overeducation," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 75-86, February.
- Giorgio Di Pietro, 2002. "The Connection Between Access to University and Net Social Welfare Expenditure in Southern Italy," Education Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 10(1), pages 25-39.
- F Green & Steven McIntosh & Anna Vignoles, 1999. "Overeducation and Skills - Clarifying the Concepts," CEP Discussion Papers dp0435, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Luigi Pistaferri, 1999. "Informal Networks in the Italian Labor Market," Giornale degli Economisti, GDE (Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia), Bocconi University, vol. 58(3-4), pages 355-375, December.
- Faini, Riccardo & Galli, Giampaolo & Gennari, Pietro & Rossi, Fulvio, 1997. "An empirical puzzle: Falling migration and growing unemployment differentials among Italian regions," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 571-579, April.
- Sattinger, Michael, 1993. "Assignment Models of the Distribution of Earnings," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(2), pages 831-80, June.
- Kostas Mavromaras & Seamus Mcguinness & Nigel O'Leary & Peter Sloane & Yi King Fok, 2010.
"The Problem Of Overskilling In Australia And Britain,"
University of Manchester, vol. 78(3), pages 219-241, 06.
- Mavromaras, Kostas G. & McGuinness, Seamus & O'Leary, Nigel C. & Sloane, Peter J. & Fok, Yin King, 2007. "The Problem of Overskilling in Australia and Britain," IZA Discussion Papers 3136, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Kostas Mavromaras & Seamus McGuinness & Nigel O’Leary & Peter Sloane & Yin King Fok, 2007. "The Problem of Overskilling in Australia and Britain," Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series wp2007n33, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Humburg Martin & Grip Andries de & Velden Rolf van der, 2012.
"Which skills protect graduates against a slack labour market?,"
001, Maastricht : ROA, Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market.
- Humburg Martin & Grip Andries de & Velden Rolf van der, 2012. "Which skills protect graduates against a slack labour market?," Research Memoranda 002, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
- Lourdes Badillo Amador & Angel López Nicolás & Luis E. Vila, 2008. "The Consequences on Job Satisfaction of Job-Worker Educational and Skill Mismatches in the Spanish Labour Market: a Panel Analysis," Working Papers 2008-32, FEDEA.
- Brahim Boudarbat & Victor Chernoff, 2010.
"The Determinants of Education-Job Match among Canadian University Graduates,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Boudarbat, Brahim & Chernoff, Victor, 2009. "The Determinants of Education-Job Match among Canadian University Graduates," IZA Discussion Papers 4513, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Isabelle Chort, 2013. "Migrant network and immigrants’ occupational mismatch," Working Papers DT/2013/04, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Simona Iammarino & Elisabetta Marinelli, 2012. "Education-Job (Mis)Matching And Interregional Migration: Italian University Graduates’ Transition To Work," Working Papers 8, Birkbeck Centre for Innovation Management Research, revised Sep 2012.
- Ferrari, Filippo, 2010.
"Skill mismatch e profili professionali: il settore turistico-alberghiero
[Skill mismatch in tourism and hotel sector]," MPRA Paper 22363, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Peter Galasi, 2008. "The effect of educational mismatch on wages for 25 countries," Budapest Working Papers on the Labour Market 0808, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Patrizia Ordine & Giuseppe Rose, 2011. "Educational Mismatch and Wait Unemployment," Working Papers 19, AlmaLaurea Inter-University Consortium.
- Domadenik, Polona & Farčnik, DaÅ¡a & Pastore, Francesco, 2013. "Horizontal Mismatch in the Labour Market of Graduates: The Role of Signalling," IZA Discussion Papers 7527, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Giuseppe Croce & Emanuela Ghignoni, 2011.
"Overeducation and spatial flexibility in Italian local labour markets,"
145, University of Rome La Sapienza, Department of Public Economics.
- Croce, Giuseppe & Ghignoni, Emanuela, 2011. "Overeducation and spatial flexibility in Italian local labour markets," MPRA Paper 29670, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chantal Nielsen, 2011. "Immigrant over-education: evidence from Denmark," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 24(2), pages 499-520, April.
- Emanuela Ghignoni, 2011. "Young workersâ€Ÿ overeducation and cohort effects in â€œP.I.G.S.â€ countries versus the Netherlands: a pseudo-panel analysis," Working Papers 147, University of Rome La Sapienza, Department of Public Economics.
- Gianni Betti & Antonella D’Agostino & Laura Neri, 2011. "Educational Mismatch of Graduates: a Multidimensional and Fuzzy Indicator," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 103(3), pages 465-480, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.