Threshold cointegration and purchasing power parity in the pacific nations
AbstractThe paper uses a threshold cointegration methodology to explore the properties of long-run purchasing power parity (PPP) in the Pacific nations. Using Japan and the USA as base countries, it is shown that long-run PPP holds for most Asian countries but that the adjustment mechanism is asymmetric. In contrast to symmetric error-correction models, it is found that asymmetric adjustments of nominal exchange rates play an important role in eliminating deviations from long-run PPP.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 36 (2004)
Issue (Month): 9 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Parsley, David C & Popper, Helen A, 2001. "Official Exchange Rate Arrangements and Real Exchange Rate Behavior," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 33(4), pages 976-93, November.
- Michael, Panos & Nobay, A Robert & Peel, David A, 1997.
"Transactions Costs and Nonlinear Adjustment in Real Exchange Rates: An Empirical Investigation,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(4), pages 862-79, August.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Michael-Nobay-Peel ESTAR models," Statistical Software Components RTZ00113, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Enders, Walter & Siklos, Pierre L, 2001.
"Cointegration and Threshold Adjustment,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 19(2), pages 166-76, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Enders-Siklos(2001) JBES paper on threshold cointegration," Statistical Software Components RTZ00053, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "ENDERSIKLOS: RATS procedure to perform Enders-Siklos test for cointegration with threshold effect," Statistical Software Components RTS00064, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P, 1997.
"The Behaviour of Real Exchange Rates During the Post-Bretton Woods Period,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1730, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Taylor, Mark P. & Sarno, Lucio, 1998. "The behavior of real exchange rates during the post-Bretton Woods period," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 281-312, December.
- Papell, David H & Theodoridis, Hristos, 2001. "The Choice of Numeraire Currency in Panel Tests of Purchasing Power Parity," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 33(3), pages 790-803, August.
- Walter Enders & Selahattin Dibooglu, 2001. "Long-Run Purchasing Power Parity with Asymmetric Adjustment," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 68(2), pages 433-445, October.
- Corbae, Dean & Ouliaris, Sam, 1988. "Cointegration and Tests of Purchasing Power Parity," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(3), pages 508-11, August.
- Rhee, Wooheon & Rich, Robert W., 1995. "Inflation and the asymmetric effects of money on output fluctuations," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 683-702.
- Jakob Madsen & Bill Yang, 1998. "Asymmetric price adjustment in a menu-cost model," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 68(3), pages 295-309, October.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Wu, Jyh-Lin & Wu, Shaowen, 2001. "Is Purchasing Power Parity Overvalued?," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 33(3), pages 804-12, August.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Ali Kutan & Su Zhou, 2009. "Towards solving the PPP puzzle: evidence from 113 countries," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(24), pages 3057-3066.
- He, Huizhen & Chou, Ming Che & Chang, Tsangyao, 2014. "Purchasing power parity for 15 Latin American countries: Panel SURKSS test with a Fourier function," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 37-43.
- Paresh Kumar Narayan, 2007. "Are Nominal Exchange Rates and Price Levels Co-Integrated? New Evidence from Threshold Autoregressive and Momentum-Threshold Autoregressive Models," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 83(260), pages 74-85, 03.
- Baharumshah, Ahmad Zubaidi & Liew, Venus Khim-Sen & Chowdhury, Ibrahim, 2010. "Asymmetry dynamics in real exchange rates: New results on East Asian currencies," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 648-661, October.
- Hsing, Y, 2009. "Functional Forms and PPP: The Case of Canada, the EU, Japan, and the U.K," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 9(1).
- Tsangyao Chang & Wen-Chi Liu, 2010. "Long-run purchasing power parity with asymmetric adjustment: evidence from nine major oil-exporting countries," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(3), pages 263-274.
- Baharumshah, Ahmad Zubaidi & Liew, Venus Khim-Sen & Chan, Tze-Haw, 2007.
"The real interest rate differential: international evidence based on nonlinear unit root tests,"
7300, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ahmad Zubaidi Baharumshah & Venus Khim-Sen Liew & Chan Tze Haw, 2009. "The Real Interest Rate Differential: International Evidence Based On Non-Linear Unit Root Tests," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(1), pages 83-94, 01.
- Mark Holmes & Ping Wang, 2006. "Asymmetric adjustment towards long-run PPP: Some new evidence for Asian economies," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(2), pages 161-177.
- Alper ASLAN, 2010. "The validity of PPP: evidence from Lagrange multiplier unit root tests for ASEAN countries," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 30(2), pages 1433-1443.
- Sugita, Katsuhiro, 2008. "Bayesian analysis of a Markov switching temporal cointegration model," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 257-274, March.
- Arusha Cooray, 2009. "Is the adjustment to real interest rate parity asymmetric?," Empirica, Springer, vol. 36(4), pages 407-418, November.
- Chang, Tsangyao & Tzeng, Han-Wen, 2011. "Long-run purchasing power parity with asymmetric adjustment: Further evidence from nine transition countries," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 1383-1391, May.
- Yang-Cheng Lu & Chang, Tsangyao & Chin-Ping Yu, 2011. "Long-Run Purchasing Power Parity with Asymmetric Adjustment: Evidence from Mainland China and Taiwan," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(3), pages 59-70, September.
- Tsangyao Chang & Hsu-Ling Chang & Hsiao-Ping Chu & Chi-Wei Su, 2006. "Does PPP hold in African countries? Further evidence based on a highly dynamic non-linear (logistic) unit root test," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(20), pages 2453-2459.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.