Collaboration and firm size: some evidence from the UK defence industry
AbstractThis paper presents evidence on the relationship between collaboration and firm size derived from an empirical study of the UK defence industry. The results indicate that size has a positive impact on collaboration and, in particular, with the propensity to collaborate with overseas firms. However, size has no impact on the propensity to collaborate with UK partners. This lends support to theories which emphasize the resource constraints facing small firms in developing international collaboration. There is a need for a policy debate concerning mechanisms to promote collaboration to assist small firms to realise the benefits of international collaboration.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 35 (2003)
Issue (Month): 18 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- JS Armstrong & Terry Overton, 2005. "Estimating Nonresponse Bias in Mail Surveys," General Economics and Teaching 0502044, EconWPA.
- Keith W. Glaister, 1996. "Strategic Motives For International Alliance Formation," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(3), pages 301-332, 05.
- Tomokazu Arita & Philip McCann, 2000. "Industrial alliances and firm location behaviour: some evidence from the US semiconductor industry," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(11), pages 1391-1403.
- Oughton, Christine & Whittam, Geoff, 1997.
"Competition and Cooperation in the Small Firm Sector,"
Scottish Journal of Political Economy,
Scottish Economic Society, vol. 44(1), pages 1-30, February.
- Christine Oughton & Geoff Whittam., . "Competition and Co-operation in the Small Firm Sector," Working Papers 9602, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.