Microeconometric decompositions of aggregate variables: an application to labour informality in Argentina
AbstractThis article illustrates the use of microeconometric decomposition techniques to characterize changes in aggregate variables. In particular, it studies the effect of changes in the employment structure on the labour informality rate for salaried workers in the greater Buenos Aires area (Argentina). To that aim it computes the difference between the informality rate at moment t and the rate that results from combining the population at moment t with the parameters estimated at moment t that link observable individual characteristics to the informality decision. The article concludes that the deep change of the employment structure in Argentina during the 1980s and the 1990s has had a significant but minor effect on the labour informality rate.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 34 (2002)
Issue (Month): 18 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
Other versions of this item:
- Leonardo Gasparini, 2001. "Microeconometric decompositions of aggregate variables. An application to labor informality in Argentina," Working Papers 68, FIEL.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daniel Artana, Ricardo López Murphy, 1994. "Fiscal Decentralization: Some Lessons for Latin America," Working Papers 42, FIEL.
- D. Artana, M. Cristini, R. Moya, M. Panadeiros, 1997. "Modernización del Comercio Minorista en la Argentina," Working Papers 55, FIEL.
- Daniel Artana, Fernando Navajas, 1997. "Competencia desleal en el comercio minorista. Experiencia para el caso argentino," Working Papers 54, FIEL.
- Ricardo Paredes, 1996. "Mercado Laboral e Instituciones: Lecciones a partir del caso de Chile," Working Papers 50, FIEL.
- Demombynes, Gabriel & Metzler, Johannes, 2008. "Connecting the unobserved dots : a decomposition analysis of changes in earnings inequality in urban Argentina, 1980-2002," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4624, The World Bank.
- Evelyn Benvin & Marcela Perticara, 2007.
"Análisis de los cambios en la participación laboral femenina en Chile,"
ILADES-Georgetown University Working Papers
inv180, Ilades-Georgetown University, Universidad Alberto Hurtado/School of Economics and Bussines.
- Evelyn Benvin & Marcela Perticara, 2007. "Análisis de los cambios en la participación laboral femenina en Chile," Revista de Analisis Economico – Economic Analysis Review, Ilades-Georgetown University, Universidad Alberto Hurtado/School of Economics and Bussines, vol. 22(1), pages 71-92, June.
- Leonardo Gasparini, 2005. "Protección Social y Empleo en América Latina: Estudio sobre la Base de Encuestas de Hogares," CEDLAS, Working Papers 0017, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- D. Artana, M. Cristini, J. Pantano, 2001. "El agro y el país: una estrategia para el futuro," Working Papers 71, FIEL.
- Gasparini Leonardo & Leonardo Tornaroli, 2009.
"Labor Informality in Latin America and the Caribbean: Patterns and Trends from Household Survey Microdata,"
REVISTA DESARROLLO Y SOCIEDAD,
UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Leonardo Gasparini & Leopoldo Tornarolli, 2007. "Labor Informality in Latin America and the Caribbean: Patterns and Trends from Household Survey Microdata," CEDLAS, Working Papers 0046, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Daniel Artana, 2007. "Are Latin-American Countries Decentralized?," Working Papers 92, FIEL.
- Martín Cicowiez & Leonardo Gasparini & Federico Gutierrez & Leopoldo Tornarolli, 2006. "Areas Rurales y Objetivos de Desarrollo del Milenio en America Latina y el Caribe," CEDLAS, Working Papers 0043, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Schröter, Lars, 2008.
"Die Rolle des informellen Sektors in der wirtschaftlichen Entwicklung Argentiniens
[The role of the informal sector in the economic development of Argentina]," MPRA Paper 11661, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 14 Nov 2008.
- Santiago Urbiztondo, 2006. "Privatization of infrastructure facilities in Latin America: full economic effects and perceptions," Working Papers 88, FIEL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.