The response of the US export prices to changes in the dollar's effective exchange rate: further evidence from industry level data
AbstractThe relationship between the dollar's effective exchange rate and the export price indexes for 13 two-digit US manufacturing industries is analysed to determine (i) which industry adjusts its dollar export price to dampen or amplify the effect of the exchange rate fluctuations on the foreign-currency price of its exports and (ii) whether the response of the export price index to appreciation and depreciation of the exchange rate is asymmetric. For several industries, evidence consistent with dampening the foreign-currency price of exports in an asymmetric fashion is found. The implications of the results for the price competitiveness of the industries studied is discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 34 (2002)
Issue (Month): 17 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Delatte, Anne-Laure & López-Villavicencio, Antonia, 2012. "Asymmetric exchange rate pass-through: Evidence from major countries," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 833-844.
- Roberto Basile & Sergio de Nardis & Alessandro Girardi, 2009.
"Pricing to market of Italian exporting firms,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(12), pages 1543-1562.
- Jiawen Yang, 2007. "Is exchange rate pass-through symmetric? Evidence from US imports," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(2), pages 169-178.
- repec:ltr:wpaper:1992.32 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sarah Guillou & Stefano Schiavo, 2007.
"Export prices and increasing world competition : evidence from French, German and Italian pricing behavior,"
Sciences Po publications
2007-25, Sciences Po.
- Sarah Guillou & Stefano Schiavo, 2007. "Export prices and increasing world competition: evidence from French, German, and Italian pricing behavior," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2007-25, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Amit Ghosh, 2009. "Implications of production sharing on exchange rate pass-through," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(4), pages 334-345.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala & Jayant Menon, 1992.
"Pricing to Market Behaviour and Exchange Rate Pass-Through in Japanese Exports,"
1992.32, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Athukorala, Premachandra & Menon, Jayant, 1994. "Pricing to Market Behaviour and Exchange Rate Pass-Through in Japanese Exports," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(423), pages 271-81, March.
- Lavoie, Nathalie & Liu, Qihong, 2004. "Findings Of Pricing-To-Market: Market Segmentation Or Product Differentiation?," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20287, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.