Three million foreigners, three million unemployed? Immigration flows and the labour market in France
AbstractThis paper investigates the effect of the flows of immigrant workers on the French labour market from the mid-1970s to the mid-1990s. Using a system of equations for unemployment, labour-force participation, the real wage and the immigration rate, it is shown that, in the long run, both legal and amnestied immigrant workers, and immigrant families lower the unemployment rate permanently. In the short-run, the arrival of immigrants increases unemployment slightly with an impact effect similar to that of an increase in domestic labour-force participation. The composition of immigration flows matters and the results indicate that the distribution between workers from the European Union and other regions of the world, also more skilled and less skilled workers, should remain balanced.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 34 (2002)
Issue (Month): 16 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Simonetta LONGHI & Peter NIJKAMP & Jacques POOT, 2008.
"Meta-Analysis Of Empirical Evidence On The Labour Market Impacts Of Immigration,"
Region et Developpement,
Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 27, pages 161-191.
- Longhi, Simonetta & Nijkamp, Peter & Poot, Jacques, 2008. "Meta-Analysis of Empirical Evidence on the Labour Market Impacts of Immigration," IZA Discussion Papers 3418, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- S. Longhi & P. Nijkamp & J. Poot, 2008. "Meta-Analysis of Empirical Evidence on the Labour Market Impacts of Immigration," Population Studies Centre Discussion Papers dp-67, University of Waikato, Population Studies Centre.
- Jiong Tu, 2007.
"The Impact of Immigration on the Labour Market Outcomes of Native-born Canadians,"
Social and Economic Dimensions of an Aging Population Research Papers
216, McMaster University.
- Tu, Jiong, 2010. "The Impact of Immigration on the Labour Market Outcomes of Native-Born Canadians," IZA Discussion Papers 5129, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sari Pekkala Kerr & William R. Kerr, 2011.
"Economic Impacts of Immigration: A Survey,"
Finnish Economic Papers,
Finnish Economic Association, vol. 24(1), pages 1-32, Spring.
- Sari Pekkala Kerr & William R. Kerr, 2011. "Economic Impacts of Immigration: A Survey," NBER Working Papers 16736, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sari Pekkala, 2005. "Economic Impacts of Immigration: A Survey," Discussion Papers 362, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Simonetta Longhi & Peter Nijkamp & Jacques Poot, 2009. "Regional Economic Impacts of Immigration: A Review," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 09-047/3, Tinbergen Institute, revised 23 Jul 2009.
- de la Rica, Sara & Glitz, Albrecht & Ortega, Francesc, 2013.
"Immigration in Europe: Trends, Policies and Empirical Evidence,"
IZA Discussion Papers
7778, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sara de la Rica & Albretch Glitz & Francesc Ortega, 2013. "Immigration in Europe: Trends, Policies and Empirical Evidence," Working Papers 2013-16, FEDEA.
- Vincent Fromentin, 2012.
"Migration and unemployment duration in OECD countries: A dynamic panel analysis,"
AccessEcon, vol. 32(2), pages 1113-1124.
- Vincent Fromentin, 2012. "Migration and unemployment duration in OECD countries: A dynamic panel analysis," CREA Discussion Paper Series 12-02, Center for Research in Economic Analysis, University of Luxembourg.
- d'Albis, Hippolyte & Boubtane, Ekrame & Coulibaly, Dramane, 2013. "Immigration Policy and Macroeconomic Performances in France," MPRA Paper 50749, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kemnitz, Alexander, 2003. "Unemployment, Technology and the Welfare Effects of Immigration," Discussion Papers 611, Institut fuer Volkswirtschaftslehre und Statistik, Abteilung fuer Volkswirtschaftslehre.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.