Three million foreigners, three million unemployed? Immigration flows and the labour market in France
AbstractThis paper investigates the effect of the flows of immigrant workers on the French labour market from the mid-1970s to the mid-1990s. Using a system of equations for unemployment, labour-force participation, the real wage and the immigration rate, it is shown that, in the long run, both legal and amnestied immigrant workers, and immigrant families lower the unemployment rate permanently. In the short-run, the arrival of immigrants increases unemployment slightly with an impact effect similar to that of an increase in domestic labour-force participation. The composition of immigration flows matters and the results indicate that the distribution between workers from the European Union and other regions of the world, also more skilled and less skilled workers, should remain balanced.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 34 (2002)
Issue (Month): 16 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sari Pekkala, 2005.
"Economic Impacts of Immigration: A Survey,"
362, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Sara de la Rica & Albretch Glitz & Francesc Ortega, 2013.
"Immigration in Europe: Trends, Policies and Empirical Evidence,"
- de la Rica, Sara & Glitz, Albrecht & Ortega, Francesc, 2013. "Immigration in Europe: Trends, Policies and Empirical Evidence," IZA Discussion Papers 7778, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jiong Tu, 2007.
"The Impact of Immigration on the Labour Market Outcomes of Native-born Canadians,"
Social and Economic Dimensions of an Aging Population Research Papers
216, McMaster University.
- Tu, Jiong, 2010. "The Impact of Immigration on the Labour Market Outcomes of Native-Born Canadians," IZA Discussion Papers 5129, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Simonetta LONGHI & Peter NIJKAMP & Jacques POOT, 2008.
"Meta-Analysis Of Empirical Evidence On The Labour Market Impacts Of Immigration,"
Region et Developpement,
Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 27, pages 161-191.
- S. Longhi & P. Nijkamp & J. Poot, 2008. "Meta-Analysis of Empirical Evidence on the Labour Market Impacts of Immigration," Population Studies Centre Discussion Papers dp-67, University of Waikato, Population Studies Centre.
- Longhi, Simonetta & Nijkamp, Peter & Poot, Jacques, 2008. "Meta-Analysis of Empirical Evidence on the Labour Market Impacts of Immigration," IZA Discussion Papers 3418, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Vincent Fromentin, 2012.
"Migration and unemployment duration in OECD countries: A dynamic panel analysis,"
CREA Discussion Paper Series
12-02, Center for Research in Economic Analysis, University of Luxembourg.
- Vincent Fromentin, 2012. "Migration and unemployment duration in OECD countries: A dynamic panel analysis," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 32(2), pages 1113-1124.
- Kemnitz, Alexander, 2003. "Unemployment, Technology and the Welfare Effects of Immigration," Discussion Papers 611, Institut fuer Volkswirtschaftslehre und Statistik, Abteilung fuer Volkswirtschaftslehre.
- Simonetta Longhi & Peter Nijkamp & Jacques Poot, 2009. "Regional Economic Impacts of Immigration: A Review," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 09-047/3, Tinbergen Institute, revised 23 Jul 2009.
- d'Albis, Hippolyte & Boubtane, Ekrame & Coulibaly, Dramane, 2013. "Immigration Policy and Macroeconomic Performances in France," MPRA Paper 50749, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.