Multinational companies and productivity spillovers: is there a specification error?
AbstractRecent empirical works on the within-sector impact of inward investments on domestic firms' productivity have found rather robust evidence of no (or even negative) effects. We suggest that, among other reasons, a specification error might explain some of these results. A more general specification, which includes the usual one as a special case, is proposed. Using data on Italian manufacturing firms in 1992-2000, we find positive externalities only once we allow for the more flexible specification.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 14 (2007)
Issue (Month): 14 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Luisa Carvalho & Teresa Costa & Jorge Caiado, 2012.
"Determinants of innovation in a small open economy: A multidimensional perspective,"
CEMAPRE Working Papers
1201, Centre for Applied Mathematics and Economics (CEMAPRE), School of Economics and Management (ISEG), Technical University of Lisbon.
- Lu�sa Carvalho & Teresa Costa & Jorge Caiado, 2013. "Determinants of innovation in a small open economy: a multidimensional perspective," Journal of Business Economics and Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(3), pages 583-600, June.
- Holger Görg & David Greenaway, 2004.
"Much Ado about Nothing? Do Domestic Firms Really Benefit from Foreign Direct Investment?,"
World Bank Research Observer,
World Bank Group, vol. 19(2), pages 171-197.
- Görg, Holger & Greenaway, David, 2003. "Much Ado About Nothing? Do Domestic Firms Really Benefit from Foreign Direct Investment?," IZA Discussion Papers 944, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- C. Franco, 2009. "Exports and FDI motivations: empirical evidence from US foreign subsidiaries," Working Papers 687, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Della Temenggung, 2007. "Productivity Spillovers from Foreign Direct Investment: Indonesian Manufacturing Industry’s Experience 1975-2000," DEGIT Conference Papers c012_048, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Joze P. Damijan & Matija Rojec & Boris Majcen & Mark Knell, 2008.
"Impact of Firm Heterogeneity on Direct and Spillover Effects of FDI: Micro Evidence from Ten Transition Countries,"
LICOS Discussion Papers
21808, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Damijan, Jože P. & Rojec, Matija & Majcen, Boris & Knell, Mark, 2013. "Impact of firm heterogeneity on direct and spillover effects of FDI: Micro-evidence from ten transition countries," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 895-922.
- Karpaty, Patrik & Lundberg, Lars, 2004.
"Foreign Direct Investment and Productivity Spillovers in Swedish Manufacturing,"
Working Paper Series
194, Trade Union Institute for Economic Research.
- Karpaty, Patrik & Lundberg, Lars, 2004. "Foreign Direct Investment and Productivity spillovers in Swedish Manufacturing," Working Papers 2004:2, Örebro University, School of Business.
- Joysri Acharyya, 2009. "Fdi, Growth And The Environment: Evidence From India On Co2 Emission During The Last Two Decades," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 34(1), pages 43-58, June.
- Franco, Chiara & Sasidharan, Subash, 2010. "MNEs, technological efforts and channels of export spillover: An analysis of Indian manufacturing industries," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 270-288, September.
- Lipsey, Robert & Sjöholm, Fredrik, 2004. "Host Country Impacts Of Inward Fdi: Why Such Different Answers?," EIJS Working Paper Series 192, The European Institute of Japanese Studies.
- Chiara Franco & Subash Sasidharan, 2009. "MNEs and Export Spillovers : An Analysis of Indian Manufacturing Industries," Trade Working Papers 22938, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Daniel Chudnovsky & Andres Lopez & Gaston Rossi, 2004.
"Foreign Direct Investment Spillovers and the Absorption Capabilities of Domestic Firms in the Argentine Manufacturing Sector (1992-2001),"
74, Universidad de San Andres, Departamento de Economia, revised Jul 2004.
- Daniel Chudnovsky & Andres Lopez & Gaston Rossi, 2008. "Foreign Direct Investment Spillovers and the Absorptive Capabilities of Domestic Firms in the Argentine Manufacturing Sector (1992-2001)," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(5), pages 645-677.
- Gholami, Roghieh & Lee, Sang-Yong Tom & Heshmati, Almas, 2005. "The Causal Relationship between ICT and FDI," Working Paper Series RP2005/26, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Franco, Chiara, 2013. "Exports and FDI motivations: Empirical evidence from U.S. foreign subsidiaries," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 47-62.
- Görg, Holger & Greenaway, David, 2002. "Much Ado About Nothing? Do Domestic Firms Really Benefit from Foreign Investment?," CEPR Discussion Papers 3485, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- FERRAGINA, Anna Maria, 2013. "The Impact of FDI on Firm Survival and Employment: A Comparative Analysis for Turkey and Italy," CELPE Discussion Papers 127, CELPE (Centre of Labour Economics and Economic Policy), University of Salerno, Italy.
- Ferragina, Anna & Pittiglio, Rosanna & Reganati, Filippo, 2012. "Multinational status and firm exit in the Italian manufacturing and service sectors," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 363-372.
- Chiara Franco & Kornelia Kozovska, 2010. "FDIs Productivity Spillovers in Regional Clusters: A Comparison between Poland and Romania," QA - Rivista dell'Associazione Rossi-Doria, Associazione Rossi Doria, issue 4, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.