Can Japan avert any future banking crisis?
AbstractThis paper suggests that the weaknesses of corporate governance are enough to explain the Japanese banking crisis in the 1990s. Bank size and lack of operating and management efficiency contributes to low return, thereby lead to the failure of the banks. Emergence and burst of the bubble in the late 1980s just accelerated the situation to an early crisis in the 1990s.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 12 (2005)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kiefer, Nicholas M, 1988. "Economic Duration Data and Hazard Functions," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 26(2), pages 646-79, June.
- Amy Basile & Joseph Joyce, 2001. "Asset bubbles, monetary policy and bank lending in Japan: an empirical investigation," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(13), pages 1737-1744.
- Joaquin Maudos & Jose Pastor, 2001. "Cost and profit efficiency in banking: an international comparison of Europe, Japan and the USA," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(6), pages 383-387.
- Maudos, Joaquin & Pastor, Jose M. & Perez, Francisco & Quesada, Javier, 2002.
"Cost and profit efficiency in European banks,"
Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money,
Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 33-58, February.
- Yuzo Honda, 2002. "The effects of the Basle accord on bank credit: the case of Japan," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(10), pages 1233-1239.
- Hoshi, Takeo, 2001. "What Happened to Japanese Banks?," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 19(1), pages 1-29, February.
- Martin, Daniel, 1977. "Early warning of bank failure : A logit regression approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 249-276, November.
- Hossain Monzur & Farhana Rafiq, 2012. "Asset Price Bubble and Banks: The Case of Japan," Working Papers id:5002, eSocialSciences.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.