Does leverage influence banks' non-performing loans? Evidence from India
AbstractThe study examines the association between corporate leverage and banks' non-performing loans. Using data on Indian manufacturing sector in India for 1993-2004, the findings indicate lagged leverage to be an important determinant of bad loans of banks. In terms of magnitudes, a 10 percentage point rise in the corporate leverage is, on average, associated with 1.3 percentage point rise in sticky loans relative to loans, after a one period lag. In terms of policy implications, the analysis suggests that the leverage ratio can serve as a useful signpost of asset quality and second, the analysis points to the need to improve the collection of data from the corporate sector.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 12 (2005)
Issue (Month): 15 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Patrick Honohan, 1997. "Banking system failures in developing and transition countries: Diagnosis and predictions," BIS Working Papers 39, Bank for International Settlements.
- Das, Abhiman & Ghosh, Saibal, 2006. "Size, Non-performing Loan, Capital and Productivity Change: Evidence from Indian State-owned Banks," MPRA Paper 17396, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ricardo Caballero & Arvind Krishnamurthy, 2000.
"International and Domestic Collateral Constraints in a Model of Emerging Market Crises,"
NBER Working Papers
7971, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Caballero, Ricardo J. & Krishnamurthy, Arvind, 2001. "International and domestic collateral constraints in a model of emerging market crises," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 513-548, December.
- Mark R. Stone & E. P. Davis, 2004.
"Corporate Financial Structure and Financial Stability,"
IMF Working Papers
04/124, International Monetary Fund.
- Davis, E. Philip & Stone, Mark R., 2004. "Corporate financial structure and financial stability," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 65-91, September.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1995.
"Inside the Black Box: The Credit Channel of Monetary Policy Transmission,"
NBER Working Papers
5146, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1995. "Inside the Black Box: The Credit Channel of Monetary Policy Transmission," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(4), pages 27-48, Fall.
- Kenneth Kang & Hong Liang & Henry Ma & Anthony J. Richards & Ajai Chopra & Meral Karasulu, 2001. "From Crisis to Recovery in Korea," IMF Working Papers 01/154, International Monetary Fund.
- Asli DemirgÃ¼Ã§-Kunt & Enrica Detragiache, 1998. "The Determinants of Banking Crises in Developing and Developed Countries," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 45(1), pages 81-109, March.
- Melvyn Weeks & Mark R. Stone, 2001. "Systemic Financial Crises, Balance Sheets, and Model Uncertainity," IMF Working Papers 01/162, International Monetary Fund.
- Ghosh, Saibal & Sensarma, Rudra, 2004. "Does monetary policy matter for corporate governance? Firm-level evidence for India," MPRA Paper 19756, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Albert Jaeger, 2003. "Corporate Balance Sheet Restructuring and Investment in the Euro Area," IMF Working Papers 03/117, International Monetary Fund.
- Ghosh, Saibal & Ghosh, Saurabh, 2006. "Impact of Liquidity constraint on Firms’ Investment Decisions," MPRA Paper 17181, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Degryse, Hans & Elahi, Muhammad Ather & Penas, María Fabiana, 2013.
"Determinants of banking system fragility: a regional perspective,"
Working Paper Series
1567, European Central Bank.
- Degryse, H.A. & Elahi, M.A. & Penas, M.F., 2012. "Determinants of Banking System Fragility: A Regional Perspective," Discussion Paper 2012-015, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Degryse, Hans & Elahi, Muhammad Ather & Penas, Maria Fabiana, 2012. "Determinants of Banking System Fragility: A Regional Perspective," CEPR Discussion Papers 8858, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ghosh, Saibal, 2007. "Relationship Lending and Financing Constraints: Firm-Level Evidence for India," MPRA Paper 24253, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Vasiliki Makri & Konstantinos Papadatos, 2014. "How accounting information and macroeconomic environment determine credit risk? Evidence from Greece," International Journal of Economic Sciences and Applied Research (IJESAR), Technological Educational Institute (TEI) of Kavala, Greece, vol. 7(1), pages 129-143, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.