General allocation problems with single-peaked preferences: path-independence and related topics
AbstractWe face the problem of allocationg a fixed amount of a perfectly divisible good among a group of agents with single-peaked preferences. We survey the three different cases studied in the literature: the pure distribution case, the redistribution case, and the gerneral case. The so called general case provide with a natural framework to analyze the idea of path-independence. In this framework, we explore the existence of rules fulfilling this property. Our first result is negative: a strong version of this property cannot be fulfilled together with efficiency. Nonetheless, some restricted versions of the path-independence property are compatible with interesting properties, in particular no manipulability, and no envy. We then identify two solutions satisfying this sort of property: the equal distance rule, and a new extension of the uniform rule.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Spanish Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 4 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Universidad del País Vasco; DFAE II; Avenida Lehendakari Aguirre, 83; 48015 Bilbao; Spain
Phone: +34 94 6013783
Fax: + 34 94 6013774
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/10108/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D45 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Rationing; Licensing
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- D74 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Conflict; Conflict Resolution; Alliances
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Carmen Herrero & Ricardo Martínez, 2011.
"Allocation problems with indivisibilities when preferences are single-peaked,"
Spanish Economic Association, vol. 2(4), pages 453-467, December.
- Carmen Herrero & Ricardo Martinez, 2006. "Allocation problems with indivisibilities when preferences are single-peaked," Working Papers 06.29, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Economics.
- Carmen Herrero Blanco & Ricardo Martínez, 2006. "Allocation Problems With Indivisibilities When Preferences Are Single-Peaked," Working Papers. Serie AD 2006-14, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.