Paths and consistency in additive cost sharing
AbstractWe provide a direct proof of a representation theorem for additive cost sharing methods as sums of path methods. Also, by directly considering the paths that generate some common additive cost sharing methods (Aumann-Shapley, Shapley Shubik, and Serial Cost) we show that they are consistent. These results follow directly from a simple sufficient condition for consistency: being generated by an associative path. We also introduce a new axiom, dummy consistency, which is quite mild. Using this, we also show that the Aumann-Shapley and Serial Cost methods are the unique (additive) consistent extension of their restriction on all two agent problems, while the Shapley-Shubik method has multiple consistent extensions but a unique anonymous scale invariant one. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2004
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal International Journal of Games Theory.
Volume (Year): 32 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 (08)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00182/index.htm
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Thierry Marchant, 2008.
"Scale invariance and similar invariance conditions for bankruptcy problems,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer, vol. 31(4), pages 693-707, December.
- Thierry Marchant, 2008. "Scale invariance and similar invariance conditions for bankruptcy problems," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 31(4), pages 709-710, December.
- SPRUMONT, Yves, 2010.
"An Axiomatization of the Serial Cost-Sharing Method,"
Cahiers de recherche
01-2010, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Yves Sprumont, 2010. "An Axiomatization of the Serial Cost-Sharing Method," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 78(5), pages 1711-1748, 09.
- SPRUMONT, Yves, 2010. "An Axiomatization of the Serial Cost-Sharing Method," Cahiers de recherche 2010-01, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- SPRUMONT, Yves, 2004.
"Nearly Serial Sharing Methods,"
Cahiers de recherche
17-2004, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Mariusz Kaleta & Eugeniusz Toczylowski, 2009. "A cost allocation framework for lp and glp games," Operations Research and Decisions, Wroclaw University of Technology, Institute of Organization and Management, vol. 4, pages 27-46.
- Maurice Koster, 2007. "The Moulin–Shenker rule," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 271-293, September.
- Eric Bahel & Christian Trudeau, 2013.
"A discrete cost sharing model with technological cooperation,"
International Journal of Game Theory,
Springer, vol. 42(2), pages 439-460, May.
- Eric Bahel & Christian Trudeau, 2011. "A Discrete Cost Sharing Model with Technological Cooperation," Working Papers e07-28, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Department of Economics.
- Trudeau, Christian, 2009. "Cost sharing with multiple technologies," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 695-707, November.
- Friedman, Eric J., 2012. "Asymmetric Cost Sharing mechanisms," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 139-151.
- SPRUMONT, Yves & MOULIN, Hervé, 2005.
"Fair Allocation of Production Externalities: Recent Results,"
Cahiers de recherche
2005-22, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Hervé Moulin & Yves Sprumont, 2007. "Fair allocation of production externalities : recent results," Revue d'économie politique, Dalloz, vol. 0(1), pages 7-36.
- MOULIN, Hervé & SPRUMONT, Yves, 2005. "Fair Allocation of Production Externalities: Recent Results," Cahiers de recherche 28-2005, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Albizuri, M. Josune & Zarzuelo, Jose M., 2007. "The dual serial cost-sharing rule," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 150-163, March.
- Justin Leroux, 2006. "A discussion of the consistency axiom in cost-allocation problems," Cahiers de recherche 06-13, HEC Montréal, Institut d'économie appliquée.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.