Optimal growth and cycles in overlapping generations models (*)
AbstractThis paper investigates the dynamical properties of optimal paths in one-sector overlapping generations models without assuming that the utility function of the representative agent is separable. When the utility function is separable, the optimal growth paths monotonically converges toward the modified golden rule steady state. In the non-separable case, we show that the optimal growth path may be oscillating and optimal twoperiod cycles may exist. Applying these results to the model with altruism, we show that the condition of operative bequest is fully compatible with endogeneous fluctuations provided that the discount factor is close enough to one. All our results are illustrated using Cobb-Douglas utility and production functions.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 9 (1997)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Note: Received: March 20, 1995; revised version December 1, 1995
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00199/index.htm
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hippolyte d’Albis & Emmanuelle Augeraud-Véron, 2007.
"Balanced cycles in an OLG model with a continuum of finitely-lived individuals,"
Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 181-186, January.
- d'Albis, Hippolyte & Augeraud-Véron, Emmanuelle, 2007. "Balanced Cycles in an OLG Model with a Continuum of Finitely-Lived Individuals," Open Access publications from University of Toulouse 1 Capitole http://neeo.univ-tlse1.fr, University of Toulouse 1 Capitole.
- Hippolyte D'Albis & Emmanuelle Augeraud-Véron, 2007. "Balanced cycles in an OLG model with a continuum of finitely-lived individuals," Post-Print hal-00630229, HAL.
- García-Belenguer, Fernando, 2006. "Stability, Global Dynamics and Markov Equilibrium in Models of Economic Growth," Working Papers in Economic Theory 2006/05, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (Spain), Department of Economic Analysis (Economic Theory and Economic History).
- Kazuo Mino & Koji Shimomura & Ping Wang, 2005.
"Occupational Choice and Dynamic Indeterminacy,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 8(1), pages 138-153, January.
- Wilfredo Leiva, 1999. "Adaptive learning in models with lagged variables," Economics Working Papers 413, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Croix, David de la & Michel, Philippe, 1999.
"Optimal growth when tastes are inherited,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 519-537, February.
- de La Croix, D. & Michel, P., 1997. "Optimal Growth When Tastes Are Inherited," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 97a21, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- De La Croix, D. & Michel, P., 1997. "Optimal Growth when Tastes are Inherited," ASSET - Instituto De Economia Publica 168, ASSET (Association of Southern European Economic Theorists).
- de la Croix, David & Michel, Philippe, 1997. "Optimal growth when tastes are inherited," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 1997012, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES), revised 00 Jun 1997.
- Michel, Philippe & Thibault, Emmanuel & Vidal, Jean-Pierre, 2006.
"Intergenerational altruism and neoclassical growth models,"
Handbook on the Economics of Giving, Reciprocity and Altruism,
- Michel, Philippe & Thibault, Emmanuel & Vidal, Jean-Pierre, 2004. "Intergenerational altruism and neoclassical growth models," Working Paper Series 0386, European Central Bank.
- Been-Lon Chen & Shun-Fa Lee, 2005. "Congestible Public Goods and Indeterminacy in a Two-sector Endogenous Growth Model," IEAS Working Paper : academic research 05-A003, Institute of Economics, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Bosi, Stefano & Magris, Francesco & Venditti, Alain, 2005. "Competitive equilibrium cycles with endogenous labor," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 325-349, April.
- Sarkar, Jayanta, 2007. "Growth dynamics in a model of endogenous time preference," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 528-542.
- Garcia-Belenguer, Fernando, 2007. "Stability, global dynamics and Markov equilibrium in models of endogenous economic growth," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 392-416, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.