Irreversible investment in alternative projects
AbstractWe study the problem of a risk-neutral decision-maker who has to choose among two alternative investment projects of different scales under output price uncertainty. We provide parameter restrictions under which the optimal investment strategy is not a trigger strategy and the optimal investment region is dichotomous. Whenever the decision-maker has the opportunity to switch from the smaller scale to the larger scale project, the dichotomy of the investment region can persist even when the volatility of the output price process becomes large. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin/Heidelberg 2006
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 28 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (06)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00199/index.htm
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- L. Wade, 1988. "Review," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 58(1), pages 99-100, July.
- Pindyck, Robert S., 1986.
"Irreversible investment, capacity choice, and the value of the firm,"
1802-86., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Pindyck, Robert S, 1988. "Irreversible Investment, Capacity Choice, and the Value of the Firm," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(5), pages 969-85, December.
- Robert S. Pindyck, 1986. "Irreversible Investment, Capacity Choice, and the Value of the Firm," NBER Working Papers 1980, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Farzin, Y. H. & Huisman, K. J. M. & Kort, P. M., 1998.
"Optimal timing of technology adoption,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 779-799, May.
- Farzin, Y.H. & Huisman, K.J.M. & Kort, P.M., 1996. "Optimal Timing of Technology Adoption," Discussion Paper 1996-72, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Farzin, Y.H. & Huisman, K.J.M. & Kort, P.M., 1998. "Optimal timing of technology adoption," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-74049, Tilburg University.
- Jean-Paul Decamps & Thomas Mariotti & Stephane Villeneuve, 2003.
"Investment Timing under Incomplete Information,"
STICERD - Theoretical Economics Paper Series
444, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Dixit, Avinash K, 1989.
"Entry and Exit Decisions under Uncertainty,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(3), pages 620-38, June.
- Andrew B. Abel & Janice C. Eberly, 1995.
"Optimal Investment with Costly Reversibility,"
NBER Working Papers
5091, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grenadier, Steven R, 1996. " The Strategic Exercise of Options: Development Cascades and Overbuilding in Real Estate Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(5), pages 1653-79, December.
- Leahy, John V, 1993. "Investment in Competitive Equilibrium: The Optimality of Myopic Behavior," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 108(4), pages 1105-33, November.
- Bar-Ilan, Avner & Strange, William C., 1998. "A model of sequential investment," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 437-463, March.
- McDonald, Robert & Siegel, Daniel, 1986. "The Value of Waiting to Invest," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 101(4), pages 707-27, November.
- Dixit, Avinash, 1993. "Choosing among alternative discrete investment projects under uncertainty," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 265-268.
- Henry, Claude, 1974. "Investment Decisions Under Uncertainty: The "Irreversibility Effect."," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(6), pages 1006-12, December.
- Arrow, Kenneth J & Fisher, Anthony C, 1974. "Environmental Preservation, Uncertainty, and Irreversibility," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 88(2), pages 312-19, May.
- Mason, Robin & Weeds, Helen, 2010. "The Timing of Takeovers in Growing and Declining Markets," CEPR Discussion Papers 7678, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- GAHUNGU, Joachim & SMEERS, Yves, 2011. "A real options model for electricity capacity expansion," CORE Discussion Papers 2011044, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Siddiqui, Afzal & Fleten, Stein-Erik, 2010.
"How to proceed with competing alternative energy technologies: A real options analysis,"
Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 817-830, July.
- Siddiqui, Afzal & Fleten, Stein-Erik, 2008. "How to Proceed with Competing Alternative Energy Technologies: a Real Options Analysis," MPRA Paper 15502, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 04 May 2009.
- Marvasti, Akbar, 2013. "The role of price expectations and legal uncertainties in ocean mineral, exploration activities," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 68-74.
- Chronopoulos, Michail & De Reyck, Bert & Siddiqui, Afzal, 2011. "Optimal investment under operational flexibility, risk aversion, and uncertainty," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 213(1), pages 221-237, August.
- Joachim Gahungu and Yves Smeers, 2012. "A Real Options Model for Electricity Capacity Expansion," RSCAS Working Papers 2012/08, European University Institute.
- Siddiqui, Afzal S. & Maribu, Karl, 2009. "Investment and upgrade in distributed generation under uncertainty," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 25-37, January.
- Siddiqui, Afzal & Takashima, Ryuta, 2012. "Capacity switching options under rivalry and uncertainty," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 222(3), pages 583-595.
- Décamps, Jean-Paul & Villeneuve, Stéphane, 2005.
"Optimal Dividend Policy and Growth Option,"
IDEI Working Papers
369, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Fleten, Stein-Erik & Maribu, Karl Magnus & Wangensteen, Ivar, 2005. "Optimal investment strategies in decentralized renewable power generation under uncertainty," MPRA Paper 218, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jun 2006.
- Julieta Caunedo, 2013. "Industry Dynamics, Investment and Business Cycles," 2013 Meeting Papers 1078, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- BOBTCHEFF Catherine & VILLENEUVE Stephane, 2006. "Irreversible Investment in Competitive Projects: A New Motive for Waiting to Invest," LERNA Working Papers 06.20.213, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Somayeh Heydari & Nick Ovenden & Afzal Siddiqui, 2012. "Real options analysis of investment in carbon capture and sequestration technology," Computational Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 109-138, February.
- Nishihara, Michi & Shibata, Takashi, 2013. "The effects of external financing costs on investment timing and sizing decisions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 1160-1175.
- Huisman, K.J.M. & Kort, P.M., 2013. "Strategic Capacity Investment Under uncertainty," Discussion Paper 2013-003, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Michi NISHIHARA & Takashi SHIBATA, 2012. "The effects of external financing costs on investment timing and sizing decisions," Discussion Papers in Economics and Business 12-07, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.