Winner-take-all price competition
AbstractWe analyze an oligopoly model of homogeneous product price competition that allows for discontinuities in demand and/or costs. Conditions under which only zero profit equilibrium outcomes obtain in such settings are provided. We then illustrate through a series of examples that the conditions provided are "tight" in the sense that their relaxation leads to positive profit outcomes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 19 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Note: Received: April 7, 2000; revised version: September 14, 2000
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00199/index.htm
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- C72 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Noncooperative Games
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Alejandro Saporiti & German Coloma, 2009.
"Bertrand's price competition in markets with fixed costs,"
RCER Working Papers
549, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Alejandro Saporiti & German Coloma, 2008. "Bertrand's price competition in markets with fixed costs," RCER Working Papers 541, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Ganesh Iyer & Amit Pazgal, 2008. "Procurement bidding with restrictions," Quantitative Marketing and Economics, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 177-204, June.
- Oriol Carbonell-Nicolau, 2011. "The Existence of Perfect Equilibrium in Discontinuous Games," Games, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 2(3), pages 235-256, July.
- Hoernig, Steffen, 2005.
"Bertrand Equilibria and Sharing Rules,"
FEUNL Working Paper Series
wp468, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Faculdade de Economia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.