Canadian Wage Inequality over the Last Two Decades
AbstractWe study the dispersion of wages of full-time full-year workers over two decades controlling for both education and experience. Applying non-parametric statistical methods we find statistically significant and large increases in inequality for males with low levels of education and experience coexist with more modest changes in inequality for older, more experienced workers with a university degree. These relative patterns tend to be similar for females though with a stronger tendency towards inequality in each education-experience category. Given the recent focus in this debate on the issue of polarization, we also show graphs of the actual distributions of wages and analyze these to conclude that the groups experiencing increased dispersion do display what is commonly known as polarization though it would be an exaggeration to claim that the jobs in the middle of the distribution have vanished.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Empirical Economics.
Volume (Year): 22 (1997)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Stumpergasse 56, A-1060 Vienna
Phone: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 0
Fax: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 555
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00181/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Paul Beaudry & David Green, 1997.
"Cohort Patterns in Canadian Earnings: Assessing the Role of Skill Premia in Inequality Trends,"
NBER Working Papers
6132, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul Beaudry & David A. Green, 2000. "Cohort patterns in Canadian earnings: assessing the role of skill premia in inequality trends," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 33(4), pages 907-936, November.
- J. B. Burbidge & L. Magee & A. Leslie Robb, 2002.
"The Education Premium in Canada and the United States,"
Canadian Public Policy,
University of Toronto Press, vol. 28(2), pages 203-217, June.
- J.B. Burbidge & L. Magee & A.L. Robb, 2001. "The Education Premium in Canada and the United States," Social and Economic Dimensions of an Aging Population Research Papers 60, McMaster University.
- J.B. Burbidge & L. Magee & A.L. Robb, 2001. "The Education Premium in Canada and the United States," Quantitative Studies in Economics and Population Research Reports 364, McMaster University.
- Beach, Charles M. Finnie, Ross Gray, David, 2006. "Sommaire de : L'effet des conditions macroeconomiques sur l'instabilite et l'inegalite a long terme des gains des travailleurs au Canada," Direction des etudes analytiques : documents de recherche 2006269f, Statistics Canada, Direction des etudes analytiques.
- Lars Osberg, 1996.
"Economic Growth, Income Distribution and Economic Welfare in Canada 1975-1994,"
Department of Economics at Dalhousie University working papers archive
econgrow, Dalhousie, Department of Economics.
- Osberg, Lars, 1997. "Economic growth, income distribution and economic welfare in Canada 1975-1994," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 153-166.
- Brozozowski, Matthew & Gervais, Martin & Klein, Paul & Suzuki, Micho, 2009.
"Consumption, income, and wealth inequality in Canada,"
Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics
0904, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Matthew Brzozowski & Martin Gervais & Paul Klein & Michio Suzuki, 2010. "Consumption, Income, and Wealth Inequality in Canada," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 13(1), pages 52-75, January.
- A.L Robb & L. Magee & J.B. Burbidge, 2003.
"WAGES in CANADA: SCF, SLID, LFS and the Skill Premium,"
Social and Economic Dimensions of an Aging Population Research Papers
106, McMaster University.
- A.L Robb & L. Magee & J.B. Burbidge, 2003. "WAGES in CANADA: SCF, SLID, LFS and the Skill Premium," Quantitative Studies in Economics and Population Research Reports 386, McMaster University.
- Finnie, Ross & Gray, David, 2002. "Earnings dynamics in Canada: an econometric analysis," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(6), pages 763-800, December.
- David Andolfatto & James Redekop, 1998. "Redistribution Policy in a Model with Heterogeneous Time Preference," Cahiers de recherche CREFE / CREFE Working Papers 66, CREFE, Université du Québec à Montréal.
- J.B. Burbidge & L. Magee & A.L. Robb, .
"Cohort, Year and Age Effects in Canadian Wage Data,"
Canadian International Labour Network Working Papers
13, McMaster University.
- John B. Burbidge & Lonnie Magee & A. Leslie Robb, 1997. "Cohort, Year and Age Effects in Canadian Wage Data," Independence and Economic Security of the Older Population Research Papers 19, McMaster University.
- Peter Kuhn (McMaster) & A. Leslie Robb (McMaster), .
"Shifting Skill Demand and the Canada-US Unemployment Gap: Evidence from Prime-Age Men,"
Canadian International Labour Network Working Papers
01, McMaster University.
- Peter Kuhn & A. Leslie Robb, 1998. "Shifting Skill Demand and the Canada-US Unemployment Gap: Evidence from Prime-Age Men," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 24(s1), pages 170-191, February.
- Beach, Charles M. Finnie, Ross Gray, David, 2006. "Summary Of: The Impact of Macroeconomic Conditions on the Instability and Long-Run Inequality of Workers' Earnings in Canada," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 2006269e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Lars Osberg, 2003. "Long Run Trends in Income Inequality in the United States, UK, Sweden, Germany and Canada: A Birth Cohort View," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 29(1), pages 121-141, Winter.
- Sharpe, Andrew & Zyblock, Myles, 1997. "Macroeconomic performance and income distribution in Canada," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 167-199.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.