Spatial analysis of the relationship between housing values and investments in transportation infrastructure
AbstractThe relationship between residential location, location value and accessibility has been of long interest to regional scientists. Studies investigating the relationship between house price and changes in accessibility, however, have been fewer in number, and predominantly have centered upon the house price impact of fixed rail investments. Neglected have been the impacts of smaller road investments made on a regular basis by municipalities and state departments of transportation. This research therefore reports on the spatial relationship between house price and investment in road-based transportation infrastructure by combining two spatial databases, both centered on Columbus, OH. The first contains information on all single-family detached houses sold in 1990. The second contains detailed spatial and temporal information on all accessibility-changing road investments in the same area, since 1978. Results indicate that while moderate, past, current and approved (but not begun) road investments have distinct and significant impacts on house price. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2004
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal The Annals of Regional Science.
Volume (Year): 38 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00168/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R31 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Real Estate Markets, Spatial Production Analysis, and Firm Location - - - Housing Supply and Markets
- H54 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Infrastructures
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Veronique Van Acker & Frank Witlox, 2005. "Exploring the relationship between land-use system and travel behaviour - some first findings," ERSA conference papers ersa05p601, European Regional Science Association.
- Ekaterina Chernobai & Michael Reibel & Michael Carney, 2011. "Nonlinear Spatial and Temporal Effects of Highway Construction on House Prices," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 42(3), pages 348-370, April.
- Xia Feng & Brad R. Humphreys, 2008. "Assessing the Economic Impact of Sports Facilities on Residential Property Values: A Spatial Hedonic Approach," Working Papers 0812, International Association of Sports Economists & North American Association of Sports Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.