The Irish Fiscal Crisis
AbstractThis paper considers the origins and characteristics of the current economic crisis in Ireland. In particular, it examines how fiscal policy contributed to the crisis rather than preventing it. The paper gives details of the major fiscal tightening that is under way. By 2014 the authorities will have implemented a package of ex ante cuts equivalent to one-fifth of GDP. The costs of this package, together with the more permanent effects of the recession on potential output, are discussed and the legacy effects of the crisis for government indebtedness are analysed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by National Institute of Economic and Social Research in its journal National Institute Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 217 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 2 Dean Trench Street, Smith Square, London SW1P 3HE
Phone: +44 (020) 7222 7665
Fax: +44 (020) 7654 1900
Web page: http://www.niesr.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Fiscal policy; debt sustainability; Ireland;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
- H63 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt - - - Debt; Debt Management; Sovereign Debt
- H68 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt - - - Forecasts of Budgets, Deficits, and Debt
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Durkan, Joe & Duffy, David & O'Sullivan, Cormac, 2011. "Quarterly Economic Commentary, Autumn 2011," Forecasting Report, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number QEC20113.
- Fitz Gerald, John & Kearney, Ide, 2011. "Irish Government Debt and Implied Debt Dynamics: 2011-2015," Quarterly Economic Commentary: Special Articles, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), issue 3-Autumn.
- Schwarzmüller, Tim & Gern, Klaus-Jürgen & Jannsen, Nils & Van Roye, Björn & Scheide, Joachim & Boysen-Hogrefe, Jens & Groll, Dominik, 2011. "Weltkonjunktur im Herbst 2011," Kiel Discussion Papers 494/495, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (SAGE Publications).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.