Ownership Structure And Company Performance – Research And Literature Review
AbstractThe aim of this article is to summarize the results of published researches conducted in the area of influence of ownership forms on companies and financial performance and to highlight the specifics of these relations in the environment of transition economies. Several authors have documented greater efficiency of private companies compared to state-owned. According to different studies, an alternative option for transition economies is foreign ownership. Recent studies show that the effect of ownership forms on companies and financial performance is more significant in Eastern European countries compared to developed countries. However, study results are often contradictory, therefore they require additional research.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Information Technology and Management, Institute of Financial Research and Analysis in its journal e-Finanse.
Volume (Year): 9 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 (October)
Ownership forms; ownership structure; performance; privatization; private company Least Squares Method;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Parker, David, 1997. "Price cap regulation, profitability and returns to investors in the UK regulated industries," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 303-315, December.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1995.
"A Survey of Corporate Governance,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1741, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Djankov, Simeon & Murrell, Peter, 2002.
"Enterprise Restructuring in Transition: A Quantitative Survey,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3319, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Simeon Djankov & Peter Murrell, 2002. "Enterprise Restructuring in Transition: A Quantitative Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 40(3), pages 739-792, September.
- Görg, Holger & Greenaway, David, 2003.
"Much Ado About Nothing? Do Domestic Firms Really Benefit from Foreign Direct Investment?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
944, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Holger Görg & David Greenaway, 2004. "Much Ado about Nothing? Do Domestic Firms Really Benefit from Foreign Direct Investment?," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 19(2), pages 171-197.
- Megginson, William L & Nash, Robert C & van Randenborgh, Matthias, 1994. " The Financial and Operating Performance of Newly Privatized Firms: An International Empirical Analysis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(2), pages 403-52, June.
- Boubakri, Narjess & Cosset, Jean-Claude & Guedhami, Omrane, 2005. "Postprivatization corporate governance: The role of ownership structure and investor protection," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 369-399, May.
- David Lipton & Jeffrey Sachs, 1990. "Privitization in Eastern Europe: The Case of Poland," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 21(2), pages 293-342.
- Bonin, John P. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Wachtel, Paul, 2005.
"Bank performance, efficiency and ownership in transition countries,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 31-53, January.
- Bonin, John P. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Wachtel, Paul, 2004. "Bank performance, efficiency and ownership in transitition countries," BOFIT Discussion Papers 7/2004, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Saul Estrin, 2002. "Competition and Corporate Governance in Transition," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(1), pages 101-124, Winter.
- Anusha Chari & Wenjie Chen & Kathryn M E Dominguez, 2012.
"Foreign Ownership and Firm Performance: Emerging Market Acquisitions in the United States,"
IMF Economic Review,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 60(1), pages 1-42, April.
- Anusha Chari & Wenjie Chen & Kathryn M.E. Dominguez, 2009. "Foreign Ownership and Firm Performance: Emerging-Market Acquisitions in the United States," NBER Working Papers 14786, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anusha Chari & Wenjie Chen & Kathryn M.E. Dominguez, 2009. "Foreign Ownership and Firm Performance: Emerging-Market Acquisitions in the United States," Working Papers 590, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Jeffry M. Netter & William L. Megginson, 2001. "From State to Market: A Survey of Empirical Studies on Privatization," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(2), pages 321-389, June.
- D'Souza, Juliet & Megginson, William & Nash, Robert, 2005. "Effect of institutional and firm-specific characteristics on post-privatization performance: Evidence from developed countries," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(5), pages 747-766, October.
- Hart, Oliver, 1995. "Corporate Governance: Some Theory and Implications," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(430), pages 678-89, May.
- Qi, Daqing & Wu, Woody & Zhang, Hua, 2000. "Shareholding structure and corporate performance of partially privatized firms: Evidence from listed Chinese companies," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 8(5), pages 587-610, October.
- Willmore, Larry N., 1986. "The comparative performance of foreign and domestic firms in Brazil," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 489-502, April.
- Wi Saeng Kim & Esmeralda O Lyn, 1990. "FDI Theories and the Performance of Foreign Multinationals Operating in the U.S," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 21(1), pages 41-54, March.
- Peltzman, Sam, 1971. "Pricing in Public and Private Enterprises: Electric Utilities in the United States," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 14(1), pages 109-47, April.
- Irina Ivashkovskaya & Anastasia Stepanova, 2011. "Does strategic corporate performance depend on corporate financial architecture? Empirical study of European, Russian and other emerging market’s firms," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, vol. 15(4), pages 603-616, November.
- Commander, Simon & Svejnar, Jan, 2007.
"Do Institutions, Ownership, Exporting and Competition Explain Firm Performance? Evidence from 26 Transition Countries,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2637, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Simon Commander & Jan Svejnar, 2007. "Do Institutions, Ownership, Exporting and Competition Explain Firm Performance? Evidence from 26 Transition Countries," CASE Network Studies and Analyses 0344, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- John, Kose & Senbet, Lemma W., 1998. "Corporate governance and board effectiveness1," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 371-403, May.
- William A. Andrews, 1998. "Explaining Performance Changes in Newly Privatized Firms," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(5), pages 601-617, 09.
- Jan Hanousek & Evzen Kocenda & Jan Svejnar, 2005. "Origin and Concentration: Corporate Ownership, Control and Performance," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp259, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
- Natália Barbosa & Helen Louri, 2005.
"Corporate Performance: Does Ownership Matter? A Comparison of Foreign- and Domestic-Owned Firms in Greece and Portugal,"
Review of Industrial Organization,
Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 73-102, 08.
- Natália Barbosa & Helen Louri, 2003. "Corporate performance: does ownership matter? A comparison of foreign - and domestic - owned firms in Greece and Portugal," NIMA Working Papers 26, Núcleo de Investigação em Microeconomia Aplicada (NIMA), Universidade do Minho.
- Roman Frydman & Cheryl Gray & Marek Hessel & Andrzej Rapaczynski, 1999. "When Does Privatization Work? The Impact Of Private Ownership On Corporate Performance In The Transition Economies," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 114(4), pages 1153-1191, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Pawel Bochenek) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Pawel Bochenek to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.