The current state and dynamics of regional disparities in Romania
AbstractThe paper aims to highlight the dynamics and current state of regional disparities in Romania, discussing both inter-regional disparities -between the eight development regions, corresponding to the NUTS II level- and intra-regional disparities -between the counties (corresponding to the NUTS III level) included in each region. The analysis of regional disparities has been based on a series of data and indicators provided by Romanian official statistics for 2000 and 2005, processed by various statistical methods. We constructed a new variant of the relative distances ranking method adapted to the objective of our study, so as to make it possible to measure simultaneously the intra and inter-regional disparities. Based on a multidimensional index of inequality, the 41 Romanian counties plus Bucharest municipality have been ranked and included into four major development categories, according to their relative position in economic development. Gini index, Herfindahl index and Theil index have been also employed, showing a low level of concentration, which suggests a relatively low amplitude of both inter-regional and intra-regional disparities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Romanian Regional Science Association in its journal Romanian Journal of Regional Science.
Volume (Year): 2 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rrsa.ro
disparities; ranking; concentration; region; county; Romania;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Rotaru, Paul Costel, 2011. "Identificarea disparităților regionale privind ocuparea populatiei pe domenii de activitate în România în anul 2009," MPRA Paper 35628, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jaba, Elisabeta & Balan, Christiana & Roman, Mihai & Roman, Monica, 2010. "Statistical evaluation of spatial concentration of unemployment by gender," MPRA Paper 25161, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised May 2010.
- Cristina Lincaru & Vasilica Ciucã, 2011. "The Geographical Distribution Of Unemployment At Localities Desegregation Level.Case Study For South Muntenia Region - Romania," Romanian Journal of Regional Science, Romanian Regional Science Association, vol. 5(2), pages 76-91, DECEMBER.
- Ingrid Mihaela Dragota & Bogdan-Vasile Ileanu, 2011. "The Romanians’ Preferences For Life Insurance And Optional Private Pension Products. A Regional Analysis," Romanian Journal of Regional Science, Romanian Regional Science Association, vol. 5(1), pages 70-88, JUNE.
- Roman, Monica & Suciu, Christina, 2012.
"Analiza eficienţei activităţii de cercetare dezvoltare inovare prin metoda DEA
[The Efficency Analysis Of R&D Activities By Using Dea]," MPRA Paper 44000, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Elisabeta JABA & Alina Mariuca IONESCU & Corneliu IATU & Christiana Brigitte BALAN, 2009. "The Evaluation Of The Regional Profile Of The Economic Development In Romania," Analele Stiintifice ale Universitatii "Alexandru Ioan Cuza" din Iasi - Stiinte Economice, Alexandru Ioan Cuza University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, vol. 56, pages 537-549, November.
- Roman, Monica, 2010. "Regional efficiency of knowledge economy in the new EU countries: The Romanian and Bulgarian case," MPRA Paper 23083, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Feb 2010.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bogdan-Vasile Ileanu).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.