Arbitrages and Arrow-Debreu Prices
AbstractThe goal of this work is to check that there are no arbitrage opportunities in the CBOE market for S&P500 options and to extract from these options’ quotes the state-price density consistent with the Merton model. The structure of the article is as follows: in Section 2 we examine the relations between arbitrages and Arrow-Debreu prices; in Section 3 we consider two models which seem to be consistent with the market prices of index options: the CEV model and the Merton model; finally, in Section 4 we estimate the state-price density consistent with the Merton-Geske model. Some conclusions follow.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by SIPI Spa in its journal Rivista di Politica Economica.
Volume (Year): 98 (2008)
Issue (Month): 6 (November-December)
Contact details of provider:
state-price density; index options; Merton-Geske model;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Breeden, Douglas T & Litzenberger, Robert H, 1978. "Prices of State-contingent Claims Implicit in Option Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 51(4), pages 621-51, October.
- Garman, Mark B., 1976. "An algebra for evaluating hedge portfolios," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 403-427, October.
- Rubinstein, Mark, 1994. " Implied Binomial Trees," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(3), pages 771-818, July.
- Mark Rubinstein., 1994. "Implied Binomial Trees," Research Program in Finance Working Papers RPF-232, University of California at Berkeley.
- Banz, Rolf W & Miller, Merton H, 1978. "Prices for State-contingent Claims: Some Estimates and Applications," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 51(4), pages 653-72, October.
- Merton, Robert C., 1973.
"On the pricing of corporate debt: the risk structure of interest rates,"
684-73., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Merton, Robert C, 1974. "On the Pricing of Corporate Debt: The Risk Structure of Interest Rates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 449-70, May.
- Myron S. Scholes & Mark A. Wolfson, 1989.
"Decentralized Investment Banking: The Case of Discount Dividend-Reinve stment and Stock-Purchase Plans,"
NBER Working Papers
3093, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Scholes, Myron S. & Wolfson, Mark A., 1989. "Decentralized investment banking : The case of discount dividend-reinvestment and stock-purchase plans," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 7-35, September.
- Geske, Robert, 1977. "The Valuation of Corporate Liabilities as Compound Options," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 541-552, November.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Jagannathan, Ravi, 1991.
"Implications of Security Market Data for Models of Dynamic Economies,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(2), pages 225-62, April.
- Lars Peter Hansen & Ravi Jagannathan, 1990. "Implications of security market data for models of dynamic economies," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 29, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Lars Peter Hansen & Ravi Jagannathan, 1990. "Implications of Security Market Data for Models of Dynamic Economies," NBER Technical Working Papers 0089, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabrina Marino).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.