An Evaluation of Effectiveness of Fuzzy Logic Model in Predicting the Business Bankruptcy
AbstractIn front of the current global financial crisis, the future existence of the firms is uncertain. The characteristics and the dynamics of the current world and the interdependences between the financial and economic markets around it demand a continuous research for new methods of bankruptcy prediction. The purpose of this article is to present a fuzzy logic-based system that predicts bankruptcy for one, two and three years before the possible failure of companies. The proposed fuzzy model uses as inputs financial ratios, that is dynamics of the financial ratios. In order to design and to implement the model, authors have used financial statements of 132 stock equity companies (25 bankrupt and 107 nonbankrupt). The paper presents also the testing and validation of the created fuzzy logic models.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Institute for Economic Forecasting in its journal Romanian Journal for Economic Forecasting.
Volume (Year): (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Casa Academiei, Calea 13, Septembrie nr.13, sector 5, Bucureşti 761172
Phone: 004 021 3188148
Fax: 004 021 3188148
Web page: http://www.ipe.ro/
More information through EDIRC
bankruptcy; crisis; prediction; fuzzy logic; ratings;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G17 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Financial Forecasting and Simulation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nastac, Iulian & Dobrescu, Emilian & Pelinescu, Elena, 2007. "Neuro-Adaptive Model for Financial Forecasting," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 4(3), pages 19-41, September.
- H. Ooghe & S. De Prijcker, 2006.
"Failure process and causes of company bankruptcy: a typology,"
Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium
06/388, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Ooghe, H. & De Prijcker, S., 2006. "Failure processes and causes of company bankruptcy: a typology," Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School Working Paper Series 2006-21, Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School.
- Morariu, Nicolae & Iancu, Eugenia & Vlad, Sorin, 2009. "A Neural Network Model for Time-Series Forecasting," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(4), pages 213-223, December.
- S. Balcaen & H. Ooghe, 2004. "35 years of studies on business failure: an overview of the classical statistical methodologiesand their related problems," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 04/248, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Daianu, Daniel & Lungu, Laurian, 2008. "Why Is This Financial Crisis Occurring? How To Respond To It?," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 5(4), pages 59-87, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Corina Saman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.