Warranties, Performance, and the Resolution of Buyer-Seller Disputes
AbstractMany disputes between buyers and sellers concern product quality and whether a claim of poor product performance is covered by a warranty issued by the seller. We develop an analytical framework in which average product quality, buyer preferences, production and transaction costs, and the extent to which "true" quality can be observed by buyer and seller interact to determine warranties, product price, and the likelihood of disputes. Using this framework, we examine the impact of various types of dispute resolution mechanisms (DRM's) on these outcomes. We relate features of DRM's such as cost and accuracy, to prices, warranties, and allocative efficiency of the market in which disputes arise.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The RAND Corporation in its journal Bell Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 14 (1983)
Issue (Month): 1 (Spring)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rje.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Steven Matthews & John Moore, 1985.
"Monopoly Provision of Quality and Warranties: An Exploration in the Theory of Multidimensional Screening,"
661, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Matthews, Steven & Moore, John, 1987. "Monopoly Provision of Quality and Warranties: An Exploration in the Theory of Multidimensional Screening," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 441-67, March.
- Bruce I. Carlin & Simon Gervais, 2009. "Legal Protection in Retail Financial Markets," NBER Working Papers 14972, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joaqu?n Coleff, 2013. "Can consumer complaints reduce product reliability? Should we worry?," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO 011038, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Chester Spatt, 1983. "The objectives of private and public judges," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 41(1), pages 139-143, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.