Warranties, Performance, and the Resolution of Buyer-Seller Disputes
AbstractMany disputes between buyers and sellers concern product quality and whether a claim of poor product performance is covered by a warranty issued by the seller. We develop an analytical framework in which average product quality, buyer preferences, production and transaction costs, and the extent to which "true" quality can be observed by buyer and seller interact to determine warranties, product price, and the likelihood of disputes. Using this framework, we examine the impact of various types of dispute resolution mechanisms (DRM's) on these outcomes. We relate features of DRM's such as cost and accuracy, to prices, warranties, and allocative efficiency of the market in which disputes arise.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The RAND Corporation in its journal Bell Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 14 (1983)
Issue (Month): 1 (Spring)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rje.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chester Spatt, 1983. "The objectives of private and public judges," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 41(1), pages 139-143, January.
- Joaqu?n Coleff, 2013. "Can consumer complaints reduce product reliability? Should we worry?," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO 011038, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Bruce I. Carlin & Simon Gervais, 2009. "Legal Protection in Retail Financial Markets," NBER Working Papers 14972, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven Matthews & John Moore, 1985.
"Monopoly Provision of Quality and Warranties: An Exploration in the Theory of Multidimensional Screening,"
661, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Matthews, Steven & Moore, John, 1987. "Monopoly Provision of Quality and Warranties: An Exploration in the Theory of Multidimensional Screening," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 441-67, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.