Immigration, Trade Costs and Trade: Gravity Evidence for Greece
AbstractThis paper investigates the influence of immigration into Greece on the volumes of Greeces bilateral trade using a gravity modelling approach. An augmented gravity model is estimated using a panel data set for the period 1981-1991. The results show that immigration had a positive impact on the volume of Greeces bilateral exports, but no effect on its bilateral imports. This is consistent with immigration reducing transactions or trading costs on Greeces exports.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University in its journal Journal of Economic Integration.
Volume (Year): 18 (2003)
Issue (Month): ()
Trade; migration; gravity models;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
- F22 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Migration
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Murat Genc & Masood Gheasi & Peter Nijkamp & Jacques Poot, 2011.
"The impact of immigration on international trade: a meta-analysis,"
Norface Discussion Paper Series
2011020, Norface Research Programme on Migration, Department of Economics, University College London.
- Genc, Murat & Gheasi, Masood & Nijkamp, Peter & Poot, Jacques, 2011. "The Impact of Immigration on International Trade: A Meta-Analysis," IZA Discussion Papers 6145, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Tadesse, Bedassa & White, Roger, 2008. "Do immigrants counter the effect of cultural distance on trade? Evidence from US state-level exports," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 2304-2318, December.
- White, Roger & Tadesse, Bedassa, 2008. "Immigrants, cultural distance and U.S. state-level exports of cultural products," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 331-348, December.
- Subrata Ghatak & Monica Ioana Pop Silaghi & Vince Daly, 2009. "Trade and migration flows between some CEE countries and the UK," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(1), pages 61-78.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jong-Eun Lee).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.