Economic Underdevelopment and Total Factor Growth in Small Scale Industries: Some Evidences from India
AbstractGlobalization of Indian economy and fast and large industrialization questioned the sustainability and endurance of small scale industries (SSIs) from 1991. In this regard productivity and performance is remaining an issue that needs analysis for their development. However economic underdevelopment is remain a problem for the development of small scale industries. In this paper an attempt has been made to examine the productive performance of in small scale industries in India in underdeveloped areas with special reference to Assam. The findings of the study suggest the Total Factor Productivity (TFP) of SSIs in underdeveloped areas seemed to be growing steadily over the time. The overall linear trend line of TFPG of SSIs of India indicates a declining trend over the periods from 1973- 74 to 2001-2002.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of International Business and Economics from the Academy of Economic Studies Bucharest in its journal Romanian Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 14 (2011)
Issue (Month): 41 (September)
Small scale Industry; Total factor productivity; underdevelopment;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L6 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- O14 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Industrialization; Manufacturing and Service Industries; Choice of Technology
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Romer, Paul M, 1986. "Increasing Returns and Long-run Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(5), pages 1002-37, October.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Radu Lupu).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.