New Measures of Australian Corporate Credit Spreads
AbstractAustralian corporations access bond markets both domestically and offshore. Despite this, there is a lack of publicly available data on bond market conditions faced by non-financial corporations (NFCs). This gap in the data is particularly apparent at longer maturities where the low level of bond issuance, especially in the domestic market, makes it difficult to gauge the long-term credit spreads faced by resident issuers. To address this lack of data, the article presents a method for estimating aggregate credit spreads of Australian NFCs across maturities ranging from 1 to 10 years. The estimation method is simple, transparent and relatively robust in small samples. The Bank will commence publishing the estimated credit spreads monthly from December 2013.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Reserve Bank of Australia in its journal RBA Bulletin.
Volume (Year): (2013)
Issue (Month): (December)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Oliver Linton & Enno Mammen & Jens Perch Nielsen & C Tanggaard, 2000.
"Yield Curve Estimation by Kernel Smoothing Methods,"
STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series
/2000/385, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Linton, Oliver & Mammen, Enno & Nielsen, Jans Perch & Tanggaard, Carsten, 2001. "Yield curve estimation by kernel smoothing methods," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 185-223, November.
- Oliver Linton & Enno Mammen & Jens Perch Nielsen & C Tanggaard, 2000. "Yield curve estimation by kernel smoothing methods," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2270, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Oliver B. Linton & Enno Mammen & J. Nielsen & Carsten Tanggaard, 2000. "Yield Curve Estimation by Kernel Smoothing Methods," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0235, Econometric Society.
- Nelson, Charles R & Siegel, Andrew F, 1987. "Parsimonious Modeling of Yield Curves," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 60(4), pages 473-89, October.
- Eric Powers & Sergey Tsyplakov, 2008. "What Is the Cost of Financial Flexibility? Theory and Evidence for Make-Whole Call Provisions," Financial Management, Financial Management Association International, vol. 37(3), pages 485-512, 09.
- Yallup, Peter J., 2012. "Models of the yield curve and the curvature of the implied forward rate function," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 121-135.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paula Drew).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.